QT question - advice needed

I have a 15 gallon QT tank that's been running about 6 weeks. I started it up for my sick Lemonpeel. 2 weeks ago I added 4 fish, a pair of Clowns, baby Yellow Tang, and a huge Starry Blenny. I had intended to set up a second QT for the Clowns a couple days after I got them, but the Starry was flicking so I immediately started Cupramine. 2 days later (second dose of Cupramine) the Tang had a couple Ich spots. No big, copper was at full concentration. By the next morning spots are gone. I've dose small amounts of Dr. Tim's daily since I added them, plus have 2 lbs of ceramic rings in there.

My question, they've been in copper now for 7 days, treatment is 14 days. However, my water looks a little cloudy, maybe too much Dr. Tim's? Ammonia alert badge has stayed consistently safe. I'd like to set up the second QT to move the Clown to. Would it be safe to do a water change and add carbon to remove the copper and clear up the water? There have been no signs for 7 days and I'm concerned about the cloudiness.

I've not done a QT before, ever. This is new territory for me.

Thanks in advance!

Cloudiness is for bacterial bloom, don't scare as long as fish are doing good.
Yes do the water change but don't run carbon, add cupramine based on the volune of new water you add to keep the concentration at 0.5
You need at least 3 weeks with full dose to eradicate ich.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Yep I agree with BlueTang. 7 days isn't going to do anything but give temporary relief. I've always done 4 weeks copper treatments.

Ceramic rings can absorb copper as well so be sure test consistently to make sure your level isnt dropping. In the future go with a sponge filter for QT for a 15 gallon

If your setting up a new qt just put half of the current qt water in the new setup, and then use new fresh saltwater to top them off. You can then add the copper back into them to get them to the desired level. Maybe stop dosing bacteria because you shouldn't really need it as long as you keep your feeding and amount of fish in each down.

reefsUP

Make sure your testing your copper level if your dosing it give your self at least a day after dosing to test use a legit test kit so your differential isn't so high.

Thanks everyone. Sorry I haven't responded sooner. For some reason SCR doesn't notify with responses anymore. I ordered the Seachem copper test kit and did the water change. I haven't set up the second tank yet since the copper test just arrived today. The water is still a little cloudy, but everyone looks great. I'm going to hold off on the second QT since I have the test kit. I've heard a couple mention that ceramic rings could absorb copper, but according to the Angelfish's defeating Velvet before, and test result today, this hasn't been an issue. Mind you, they're the old school cheap ceramics, not the MarinePure type stuff. Maybe that has something to do with it?

BTW, the test color chart is really hard to read!! But nevertheless, I've got copper between .5-.6

Thanks again everyone, very much appreciated :)