DIY Cartridge GFO/Media Reactor (Feedback Needed)

So I'm working on building a media reactor that does not require sponges and where media can easily be exchanged through a cartridge and dumped out. Below is my progress...

I am planning to omit any kind of bubble plate in the canister at this time because that would require a sponge or the media would trickle out.

I have gained inspiration design from the following reactors: Innovative Marine MiniMax, Avast Spyglass Reactor, and the Ultra Reef Media Reactor.

What I hope to achieve to eliminate the sponges is try to find a conical type of structure that I can fit inside the clear PVC. That cone would be connected to a pvc piece that the pump/manifold would push water through. Under at the base would be a DIY float/check valve that would push a ball up and seal the opening when flow stops, just like the avast reactor.

So far, this is the design plan. As for the flow, I have no way of knowing how distributed it will be yet since I still need to fine that conical part.

The base will be connected to my manifold or a separate pump to control flow.

So.....do you guys have any.suggedtions as to what I can use for a cone-like piece that would fit the clear PVC inside to keep the gfo in place/sealed and to push the flow up?

Any help or suggestions would be highly appreciated!!!!

NOTE: The reactor won't be this tall. I need to shorten the PVC.

What media are planning to run?
GFO. But I don't want to run sponges. I just want to be able to dump the media out in the trash and refill it. But in order to not use sponges, I need some kind of cone piece at the bottom that is plugged up by the ball that will float up as I feed the reactor. Because if I use a flat base, I don't think the media will get evenly distributed.

joseserrano

2020 Contributor
I think this is a good idea for carbon, not gfo. You should wash your media before you put it in the tank and also want that sponge in to try and prevent any to get out. Gfo will stick to your pump and over time cause them to stop working. I'm sure there is also a downside regarding water chemistry and it leeching out into the water column over time

I think this is a good idea for carbon, not gfo. You should wash your media before you put it in the tank and also want that sponge in to try and prevent any to get out. Gfo will stick to your pump and over time cause them to stop working. I'm sure there is also a downside regarding water chemistry and it leeching out into the water column over time
The cool thing is that I can use a second base like the one pictured to rinse the GFO outside and then put the canister/cylinder back in the tank with the media rinsed.

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
I think you will need a 3d printer for those special parts like the cone piece

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk