100 gallons Acros tank

V ur setup is nice... stop making micky mouse idea. Hehehe! Add the frag tank from ur bedrooms and put the refugium underneath.

You done everything in right order. Make it easy for your self and less trouble in Future. Do it right as you done everything perfectly already.

Mr V

Premium Member
Supporter
V ur setup is nice... stop making micky mouse idea. Hehehe! Add the frag tank from ur bedrooms and put the refugium underneath.
You too B??? Why why no one being open mind?!
If it fail, then it fail. But I have to try it, otherwise I cannot sleep well!

I think your refugium idea is good overall, I'd probably just make a support stand for it out of like PVC or acrylic so its resting slightly above the sump. The radion should be good, but that's a super expensive refugium light that can probably be better suited for something else, I'd probably just get a grow light off of amazon. Something like this would be low heat, and produce plenty of light for the fuge: https://www.amazon.com/Roleadro-Pan...qid=1499704679&sr=1-6&keywords=led+grow+light

Mr V

Premium Member
Supporter
Update: Diatom outbreak! Does it mean it's the ending stage of the cycling?

Add a couple snails. I haven't test for any number, but They all alive--->good!

Question: I turn on the skimmer the first time today. I can't stop the overflow no matter what setting I am on. The sump level right now is 10". The recommended level for this skimmer is 9~11".

Anyone know why? I suspect the glue/putty/cement/silicon... i uses on the scape make it gone crazy.

Last edited:
Update: Diatom outbreak! Does it mean it's the ending stage of the cycling?

Add a couple snails. I haven't test for any number, but They all alive--->good!

Question: I turn on the skimmer the first time today. I can't stop the overflow no matter what setting I am on. The sump level right now is 10". The recommended level for this skimmer is 9~11".

Anyone know why? I suspect the glue/putty/cement/silicon... i uses on the scape make it gone crazy.
Yea I've heard the cement will make skimmers go nuts for days. Leave the skimmer running, and/or add some carbon.
What brand is the skimmer?

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Your best bet is to raise it with eggcrate or pvc fittings, like couplings cut in half, until it calms down. High enough to where it runs drier or at least overflows at a speed the overflow tube can handle (sending it back to the sump). If you run it with the cup off you're gonna want to lay a towel around the sump, everythings going to get soaked. That thing produces bubbles like mad. I'd run a whole sock for a few days until it calms down as well, it really helps pull things from the water.

I was never able to run the BM Curve 9 in the range it claims. I dont think you'll ever get it to calm down in 10" of water. I ran it closer to 6" maybe less on the lowest setting. That cup is huge so watch your salinity as your ATO makes up for the water its pulling if you run it wet.

Mr V

Premium Member
Supporter
The skimmer still acting crazy despite the water lever has lowered to the minimum possible.
But I notice today, on the side of the skimmer has a cap that cover a hole on the skimmer body (why did they drill hole on the skimmer body?!), I unplugged the cap and let more water out, it starts to come down.
Is it the way this skimmer work, you have to unplug the cap on the side?
The refugium is up and running. As you can see, there will be no light leak into the sump ---> no nuisance algae, coralline algae grow in the sump.

Two drain. The main drain (3/4") drain from the bottom of the refug, the emergency (1/2") on the side in case chaeto clogged the main drain.
It feed by the main tank drain water 1" with a valve to limited the flow.

Also add some fishes yesterday.

Last edited:

Mr V

Premium Member
Supporter
It's time to stock up the tank with sticks!
Luckily, the best sps store in town is in walking distance!

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Dang V! This things moving right along. I hope you kept your eclipse shades for when you pack that colorful wrasse tank with poppin' sticks! Well done man.