SC Aquariums 50 Cube Kit- Any Issues?

I'm fixing to setup a new reef and want to get something new, not used. These Starfire cube pnp kits are affordable and look decent. Any glaring issues with tank, stand, equipment or anything else I should know? What light would you go with for it for ultra sexy sps growin'?

The tank itself is very nice and even better at the price for low iron glass. I'm not sure now but the bulkheads used to be metric which could be a pain. Stand will last you a year, it's mdf so as soon as water hits it prepare for warping. Do yourself a favor and build your own or purchase one else where. The skimmer is good, sump good return pumps they use are loud.

I still run t5s on my sps tank. Most will probably tell you LED though.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

I had one. The tank itself was great, but the stand started warping in some spots. Also, keep an eye on the soft plumbing provided.

austin.ras

I currently have one that's been set up for about 2 years and has been great!! No major issues with it and I have the black mdf stand and have had basically 0 warping. The one thing I did change was the return pump I got a good deal on a larger pump and only had the one that came with it running for about a week when I first set it up. Im running a kessil a350 about a foot and a half off the water and the sps seems to love and I also have had very good success with clams as well. The sump is great plenty of room for all the equitment I'm running and has an okay sized refugium chamber.

The tank itself is very nice and even better at the price for low iron glass. I'm not sure now but the bulkheads used to be metric which could be a pain. Stand will last you a year, it's mdf so as soon as water hits it prepare for warping. Do yourself a favor and build your own or purchase one else where. The skimmer is good, sump good return pumps they use are loud.

I still run t5s on my sps tank. Most will probably tell you LED though.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk
SCA and Cadlight use the same tank builder in China. When buying from them ask them to drill the holes in standard (American) not metric. I know a person that bought a tank from Cadlight and the holes were drilled in standard, but gave him the metric bulkheads from Cadlight.

The cheap mdf stand will warp through time. Skimmer and sump are okay because you won't see it. I would upgrade the return pump to a more reliable one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Tommy. People on RC gush about the quality of the tank and maybe they got a nice tank but mine was delivered with multiple issues. The stand came assembled and one door was mounted half an inch higher than the other. The holes were not cut clean. The plumbing included now and the holes are all standard sizing, not metric.
They totally messed up the front panel where it meets the bottom panel at the bottom there is excessive silicone. Disappointing but I guess you get what you pay for...
I had no idea sca and CAD lights had the same manufacturer. Don't CAD have a recent issue with tanks leaking, failing? Worries me.

I have mine with the wood stand in black and it's pretty nice for $100 more. Everything stock for except the return pump.

Thanks Tommy. People on RC gush about the quality of the tank and maybe they got a nice tank but mine was delivered with multiple issues. The stand came assembled and one door was mounted half an inch higher than the other. The holes were not cut clean. The plumbing included now and the holes are all standard sizing, not metric.
They totally messed up the front panel where it meets the bottom panel at the bottom there is excessive silicone. Disappointing but I guess you get what you pay for...
I had no idea sca and CAD lights had the same manufacturer. Don't CAD have a recent issue with tanks leaking, failing? Worries me.
SCA and CAD lights doesn't over see the quality control when the tanks are being built over sea. When it get shipped over here it's the only time you see the problems.

Take for example Crystal Dynamic, they're accurate tank builder, so the quality whats goes out are more superior. All the tanks that get built get a water tested for leaks before it's shipped out.

If you are talking about the 8' long 650g custom tank that the front panel exploded out that is a risk when you requested a tank that long. It's an unfortunate incident that happened.

The mod i appreciate for the mdf stands is to paint it with the waterproofing primer on the inside, and then covering it with a varathane, or similar coat. It will extend the life of just about anything wood adjacent, and makes seeing things while working underneath much easier.