User Tag List

Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Aquamaxx CTech -T1 Review

Since there aren't too many review of the Aquamaxx CTech Calcium reactor, I figure I'd put one out there that I recently installed.
    My initial thoughts on the reactor is that it's very well built and solid construction. For my tank, I'm using the recommended CTech-T1. The T1 comes with a Sicce 0.5 recirculation pump and after starting it up, it's very quiet. I like the fact that it has its own baffle to try and keep the noise down. I also like that the pinch valve is at the beginning of the reactor and not on the effluent side. It also has a pre-filter to keep detritus out of the reactor. I haven't had it long enough to see how quick it gets dirty and what effect it has on the effluent but I like the fact that AM is trying to keep the gunk out of the reactor.
    Here's a picture of it out of the box and the ATB secondary chamber I'm going to use to help dissolve some of the CO2 before going back into the tank.

Here's a pic of the custom regulator I built. I followed Alan Le model and have quickly discovered how important a good needle valve is.

Initial setup is a breeze, it's pretty much just plug and play for the most part. I'm using a Sicce 0.5 to feed the reactor and I really like the fact that the pinch/flow valve is at the beginning of the reactor as opposed to on the effluent line.
    It's only been running for a few days but adjusting the reactor has been really easy with the help of a quality needle valve and an easy to tune pinch valve.
    I'll try to report back about the reactor and hopefully my opinion doesn't change over the months/years.

Last edited by solitude127; 06-26-2017 at 12:34 PM.
    60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. 30G nano, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15

2. Thanks MarineDepot thanked for this post
    Likes pirate2876, MarineDepot liked this post
    Contributing Member
    Name
    Ray
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks dope. Whats the idea behind using two different kinds of medias?

Contributing Member
    Name
    Damian
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

@solitude127 Off topic but, have you ever used the Reef Octopus reactor for GFO? I'm trying to find the same strainer to buy in the states, but I only found them in China and even then, I don't know if they're any good.
    48x30x24 150g LeeMar: 48" ATI LED Powermodule, 2 MP40's, Bubble King Double Cone 200, Korallin C1502 Calcium Reactor, 3 NextReef Reactors, Apex

Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pirate2876 View Post
    Looks dope. Whats the idea behind using two different kinds of medias?
    The 2nd chamber is to help dissolve the CO2 so the smaller media has more surface area for which this would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuse View Post
    @solitude127 Off topic but, have you ever used the Reef Octopus reactor for GFO? I'm trying to find the same strainer to buy in the states, but I only found them in China and even then, I don't know if they're any good.
    No, never used a RO reactor. are you looking for a similar strainer like on this ATB reactor?
    60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. 30G nano, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15

Contributing Member
    Name
    Damian
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by solitude127 View Post
    The 2nd chamber is to help dissolve the CO2 so the smaller media has more surface area for which this would happen.

No, never used a RO reactor. are you looking for a similar strainer like on this ATB reactor?
    Sorry. I meant the ATB reactor. And yes, I'm looking for a similar strainer for my DIY PVC sponge less reactor.
    48x30x24 150g LeeMar: 48" ATI LED Powermodule, 2 MP40's, Bubble King Double Cone 200, Korallin C1502 Calcium Reactor, 3 NextReef Reactors, Apex

Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Sorry. I meant the ATB reactor. And yes, I'm looking for a similar strainer for my DIY PVC sponge less reactor.
    maybe check with ATB? they may have something.

Name
    Bean
    Mentioned
    292 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Just buy the reactor and use the strainer you baller you. Mister Grad!
    Reef-A-Palooza CA - October 7th & 8th, 2017

SCMAS Member ~ www.officialscmas.org ~ #HobbitLivesMatter

300 Gallon 72x36x27 AGE- 60" 8 Lamp ATI LED PM- AA PVC Hybrid Sump- Dual Synergy Shadow Boxes w Bean Animal- AquaMaxx CO5- Ecotech Vectra M1 x2- MP60wQD x1- MP40wQD x2- Apex- Wrasse Lover

9. Thanks theMerchant thanked for this post
    Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

One thing to mention about this reactor is the ability to place the pre-filter canister and bubble counter anywhere on one of the thumb screws. This is one of the main reasons why I chose this reactor because of the ability to make the footprint a little smaller.

Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Just an update.
    So I thought that replacing the provided pinch valve with a fancy needle valve would benefit me, right? Nope. After adding the needle valve and did nothing but fuss with the drip rate so after a week and a half, I gave up and put the provided pinch valve back on. Since then, I'm back to stable flow and stable parameters.

Here's a pic of the needle valve I added.

Resident Realogist
    Name
    Jesse
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

What's the saying? If it ain't broke...don't what? lol

13. Likes solitude127 liked this post
    Name
    Alan
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used both valves

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Just a quick update. The reactor has been up and running for 6 months now and parameters are very stable. I feel like I'm getting better growth with a CaRx than I was with dosing 2part. Thanks @MarineDepot for all your help.

Just a quick question. At what point to you refill your media? When there a 1/4 of the medial left, an 1/8th? Also do you just top off the media or do you replace with new media?

16. Likes Tangwich liked this post
    Name
    MarineDepot.com
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default AquaMaxx CTech

Quote Originally Posted by solitude127 View Post
    Just a quick update. The reactor has been up and running for 6 months now and parameters are very stable. I feel like I'm getting better growth with a CaRx than I was with dosing 2part. Thanks @MarineDepot for all your help.

Just a quick question. At what point to you refill your media? When there a 1/4 of the medial left, an 1/8th? Also do you just top off the media or do you replace with new media?
    I am happy to hear the reactor is working out, they are really nice when set up and run correctly.

I replace the media about once every 12-18 months. The media is usually about 1/4 full and full of debris/detritus at that point so I go ahead and clean out the reactor, soak the pump and all the parts, then do a full swap with brand new media. Don't forget you can add Magnesium media as well which works great!

-Robert @ MD
    Marine Depot
    1-800-566-FISH

Name
    LowBaller
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

is it me or i cant see pictures
    Quote Originally Posted by lurking View Post
    He says your pictures suck
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedfish View Post
    Yep I love big wieners just like Schnitzel

Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lowbudget View Post
    is it me or i cant see pictures
    pics were hosted by tapatalk so maybe they're slacking.

Thread Information