Engineers Needed!!! DIY Sponge-less Media Reactor Help!

Ok. So I have a PVC base that I will be connecting to the PVC fitting and clear pvc tube pictured which will feed the reactor from the bottom and overflow at the top. I am trying to eliminate sponges. So I need the flow to travel up and hit something to push it down onto the base and then up the reactor.

Here is what I tried and did not succeed with...

Attempt #1

1 1/2" Cap and 1 1/2" to 3/4" reducer drilled from the bottom

Outcome: The cap was too wide (almost the diameter of the base, so the GFO got clogged on the sides.

Attempt #2

PVC 3/4" threaded adapter and strainer

Outcome: The strainer did not create enough flow to push water out effectively

Potential Attempt #3

Outcome: I can't source these in the US. They're all made in China and require large quantities.

I've been looking into using a smaller PVC size from attempt #1, but the reducing bushings in smaller sizes don't have that gap around them that the bigger sizes do, which is where I drilled the old fitting to have the water escape through.

The other option I'm looking into is making some cuts in the PVC in a way that it will create the flow I need.

Ideally, the flow should come from the top and them push down on the base and travel up the reactor like a recirculating reactor (minus the 90 degree elbow drilled into the reactor feeding the pump).

So I need your help and suggestions! Large strainers won't work because the GFO will just fall through them, so the trick is to just have the GFO tumbling in a "recirculating" fashion, minus the external pump.

This is how the GFO should tumble and how the flow should travel, ideally.

But remove the elbow and pretend the water is coming up from the base and then travels down to tumble the media, then the water exits out the top of the reactor.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated! And if you see this design on a Chinese reactor, you know where it came from! =P

Original reactor thread for reference: http://www.socalireefs.com/forums/s...Cartridge-GFO-Media-Reactor-(Feedback-Needed)

And don't worry about the gfo draining from the bottom. I have a pvc fitting with a rubber ball that seals the opening once the flow stops (E.g. Lift the reactor up to change the media).

Latest posts