75g Starphire Peninsula Reef Build

Been out for a while - couldn't stay away for too long. New tank is 40x24x17 1/2 inch glass peninsula reef (4 sided starphire) with a 40" tall stand in the bar of the house. The stand and sump was custom built by the guy I picked the tank up from.

Light is a 20k radium with a Blue Wave 250w pule start. Initially painted the reflector with white engine enamel paint to withstand the head, but ended up using a large cylindrical lampshade from IKEA to minimize glare.
Simplicity 1600 return pump
PP-4 wavemaker (will add an MP10qd in the next couple weeks for more flow)
Vertex Omega 150 Skimmer
50 pieces of ceramic biocylinders from Wally over at Seaside that I coated with a liter of microbacter7 before cycling
Will be using a chaeto/macroalgae reactor in the next couple weeks
50 pounds of 10 year established live rock
60 pounds of live sand

Cycle only took 1 week with this one, and I contribute that to Wally's guidance and the excellent LR that was used (a liter of microbacter didnt hurt either haha).

Here's some pics to hold you over. Same spot progression pics over the past couple weeks. Updated pics to come!

Nice i was going to buy that tank but realized by floor joists were running parallel with the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SantaMonicaHelp

Been out for a while - couldn't stay away for too long. New tank is 40x24x17 1/2 inch glass peninsula reef (4 sided starphire) with a 40" tall stand in the bar of the house. The stand and sump was custom built by the guy I picked the tank up from.

Light is a 20k radium with a Blue Wave 250w pule start. Initially painted the reflector with white engine enamel paint to withstand the head, but ended up using a large cylindrical lampshade from IKEA to minimize glare.
Simplicity 1600 return pump
PP-4 wavemaker (will add an MP10qd in the next couple weeks for more flow)
Vertex Omega 150 Skimmer
50 pieces of ceramic biocylinders from Wally over at Seaside that I coated with a liter of microbacter7 before cycling
Will be using a chaeto/macroalgae reactor in the next couple weeks
50 pounds of 10 year established live rock
60 pounds of live sand

Cycle only took 1 week with this one, and I contribute that to Wally's guidance and the excellent LR that was used (a liter of microbacter didnt hurt either haha).

Here's some pics to hold you over. Same spot progression pics over the past couple weeks. Updated pics to come!

Hey John,

Looking great!
I think your fish enjoy the tank too:)
What will be your next step?

Zhenya

Hey John,

Looking great!
I think your fish enjoy the tank too:)
What will be your next step?

Zhenya
Zhenya, you seem to have a habit of quoting these pic filled posts to leave your little comment. It's really not necessary to quote them like that. You can just leave your comment and I'm sure they'll see it without forcing the rest of us to scroll through huge pic filled re-posts. Thanks.

Zhenya, you seem to have a habit of quoting these pic filled posts to leave your little comment. It's really not necessary to quote them like that. You can just leave your comment and I'm sure they'll see it without forcing the rest of us to scroll through huge pic filled re-posts. Thanks.
Stop with the fake news mang

LOL Vu and Cody :tongue: here's the list that I eventually want in the tank:

Bartletts anthias (3)
Sunburst anthias
Green/red mandarin
Yellow belly regal blue tang
Blue star leopard wrasse
Mystery wrasse
Vlamingi tang
Orangespot rabbitfish

as for corals, whatever appeals to the eye, but here's what I am thinking:

Rainbow BTA for clowns
rainbow acan rock
Zoa/paly rock
ricordea/bounce Mushroom rock
SPS only on tonga rock
Maxima clam area
Rock flower nem garden
graphed monti
elegance coral
splatter hammer coral

I currently have:
Spoctinctus clown pair
Blue spot jawfish (found out later that these are generally cold water so may sell him)
RR tropic thunder monti
spongodes
red cap
miami hurricane
pulsing xenia

Here are some new additions over the past couple weeks:

Made a chaeto reactor out of a phosban 550
Did some cable management
Moved a couple corals
Added a whitetail bristletooth tang, sunburst anthias, and a few more corals.

Latest posts