Power generator advice

I've never used one, seen one, or even know what to look for. What types of generators that aren't that expensive are in the market that can sustain power to keep my reef tank alive incase of power loss. I'm interested a a gasoline type. It's summer n ppl are using a lot of energy to run AC. I'm concerned n would like some input on what do I look for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First step is to measure your wattage/amps used.

Everything SHOULD be on 120 ,so it ends up being volts * amps = watts.

What does that mean to you?

If you have a chiller that runs a 9 amps,

120*9amps=1080 watts *sorry, did my math wrong previously.

You have a 350 watt light?

120*x=350 x = ~3amps

So total your complete load, and then go looking for options from there.

Typically, you want your power generation to be rated at least 20% more than your load.

You WILL have spikes, and your generator WILL have stalls and lulls. If you can afford a generator for 30 to 40% above your load, even better.

Imho, honda makes the best, but they are ridiculous expensive.

Sent from my 1+3t

John7429

Supporter
Depends on budget. Honda makes some very nice ones but are more pricey. Harbor freight sells budget ones.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
When my power goes out and I'm running my generator, all I run are return pumps and heaters for my tanks. The tanks will be fine without light and/or skimming for the duration of the power outage. That said, I have a 2000w Champion Inverter Generator. It can run return pumps for 3 tank, a heater (250,200,150) for each tank, my fridge/freezer, my small freezer in the garage and a few lights if needed.
My advice, once you've bought your generator, have extra extension cords and power strips handy.

Go with the harbor freight I have it for a back up for my tank/house when the 4 hour battery backup runs out it saved my tank on few random power outages u can have it running it's not to loud for the price I brought a refurbished one with the parking lot sale and a coupon I paid 130 and that's nothing for what we spend on our tanks and never had a problem with it.. it ran my tank tv fridge and laptop without a problem for 5+ hours. Hope that helps

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Go with the harbor freight I have it for a back up for my tank/house when the 4 hour battery backup runs out it saved my tank on few random power outages u can have it running it's not to loud for the price I brought a refurbished one with the parking lot sale and a coupon I paid 130 and that's nothing for what we spend on our tanks and never had a problem with it.. it ran my tank tv fridge and laptop without a problem for 5+ hours. Hope that helps

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Gasoline powered correct?

Thank you guys! I'm gonna get on it Cus I don't want to have a loss. It's summer m ppl running AC. This will be to power my tank pumps, heater, n mp40 onlu. I Appreciate all your advice

My standby Generac 14KW home generator auto kicked in and has been on for a couple hours now because of an explosion in northridge power plant. Its not just good for the tank- my fridge & freezer still cold cold, neighbors jelous.

Since reef tanks absolutley require electricity, its is must. There is a 10-30 sec pause before it comes on automatically, so a UPS on the apex and batteries for the pumps are also useful.

Latest posts