Chasing corals this Friday on netflix

Sad to see it.

Agreed that the temperature of the earth is increasing (influencing the Earth's climate) due to :humanity.

Incredible footage, well done. Kinda a bummer but definitely see why it won awards.

Just visited Belize - Caye Caulker. Saw the bleaching up close. The outer reef was faring better but parts only had severely bleached elkhorn, brain and virtually nothing else except some gorgonians. Saw a nice variety of fish, breeding French angels and tons of damsels. The old dive and fish guides told me it's the worse ever. One old timer said he's going to retire he's so bummed. Worldwide the bleaching has reached the northern most reefs off of Japan. I did eat some lionfish with mango and garlic/butter to do my part.

I don't understand how climate change got so partisan/political and I'm not into debating tonight but all evidence shows global warming is accelerating faster than most models. The feedback loops from warming tundra/permafrost is releasing methane etc. so expect things to get worse.

Sad to see it.

Agreed that the temperature of the earth is increasing (influencing the Earth's climate) due to :humanity.
humans don't have anything to do with it... we're actually making it slower... we're over due for an ice age... look up the milancovitch cycles.... i think that's how it's spelled... but that explains everything that is happening...

You said that humans have nothing to do with it. I'm nothing arguing because I don't know enough about it but they said fossil fuel and emissions was a big cause of warming water so how do you say that? For years I only saw my tank but this is sad and if any what could be done about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.globalcoralbleaching.org/

Some more info on bleaching from some very reputable sources. My take on climate change and the devastation on the reefs is based on reading (trusting) reputable sources like the NOAA, NASA, Prof. Ron Shimek, University of Queensland etc. and from what I've seen personally. The facts are facts and data is data. It is not political. I don't get why climate change is so controversial when so many like the gov'ts of Germany, England, France, the island nations throughout the Pacific as well as our own Pentagon are working overtime to deal with it. The Pope, former Sec. of State Schulz, Sec of Treasury Hank Paulson (hardly liberals) all say we must act now to deal with it. And, the solutions lie in getting off fossil fuels which makes total economic sense. Wind, Solar etc. are taking over the market in KS, IL, NC, TX, FL, NV and other states not just CA. Coal is dead. Oil is sinking fast. Look at Motley Fool for tips on renewable energy stocks. I for one will be betting on the future and plan to invest this year. Why not? What is the big deal? Why hate on Bill Nye the science guy? I really don't get it. I'm pushing 60 yo and will be dead before the real trouble hits but I have kids so I'm worried for them.

http://www.globalcoralbleaching.org/

Some more info on bleaching from some very reputable sources. My take on climate change and the devastation on the reefs is based on reading (trusting) reputable sources like the NOAA, NASA, Prof. Ron Shimek, University of Queensland etc. and from what I've seen personally. The facts are facts and data is data. It is not political. I don't get why climate change is so controversial when so many like the gov'ts of Germany, England, France, the island nations throughout the Pacific as well as our own Pentagon are working overtime to deal with it. The Pope, former Sec. of State Schulz, Sec of Treasury Hank Paulson (hardly liberals) all say we must act now to deal with it. And, the solutions lie in getting off fossil fuels which makes total economic sense. Wind, Solar etc. are taking over the market in KS, IL, NC, TX, FL, NV and other states not just CA. Coal is dead. Oil is sinking fast. Look at Motley Fool for tips on renewable energy stocks. I for one will be betting on the future and plan to invest this year. Why not? What is the big deal? Why hate on Bill Nye the science guy? I really don't get it. I'm pushing 60 yo and will be dead before the real trouble hits but I have kids so I'm worried for them.
Well said man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humans don't have anything to do with it... we're actually making it slower... we're over due for an ice age... look up the milancovitch cycles.... i think that's how it's spelled... but that explains everything that is happening...
Eh. I definitely have a foot in the race for the belief of Milankovitch cycles, but I also have one in the race for the ecological impacts by human involvement resulting in climate changes.

Milankovitch had some flaws, as most of his were unproven observations. His span of 100,000 elliptical orbit expansion cycles were varied in his writings from 41,000 to 100,000. The data he used had fluctuations that did not meet up properly with gravitational properties found in physics as we know them. They were largely supported by them, but there are too large of gaps between the spaces of the missing 59,000 years to be compounded into a set of theories that could be considered ONLY to be in relation to orbital expansion.

Ecological impact of human involvement with Carbon Dioxide and Monoxide gases into the atmosphere have been supported with experiments as well as historical data of atmospheric measurements of gases present at various periods of time from the 1940s on.

The volume calculations of atmospheric dissipation of greenhouse gases has only been observed, not properly experimented, and it is still unknown how much actually leaves the atmosphere.

The funny thing, is that we are starting to notice similar correlations to the amount of helium retained within the planet and the amount the temperature goes up. We use helium in balloons and POOF. it vanishes. It is an inert gas, so it bonds to absolutely nothing. It gets removed from sources deep underground along with fuel gases, it gets pumped into pressurized containers, placed into balloons, and then POOF. it vanishes into space, never to return.

Helium goes down, and the temperature goes up.

Well... this is an observation, but does it have any correlation?

No. No.. highly unlikely, because helium is inert; it doesn't bond with anything in any chemical process at all.

We have so many observations that have been made in the world, but the ones that are most commonly analyzed are the numbers of gases that stay within the atmosphere, and continue to be detected, while temperatures rise. So then, we test experiments in controlled vacuums, and similar, and get similar results when we test the same gases within them. Chlorofluorocarbons (or halogens in general) cause photodissociation reactions in upper atmospheres to bond with the unstable O3 atom (ozone) and result in O2 and any Oxide bonds from the broken halogens produced by man in the atmosphere.

In the 80s, we were worried about the ozone layer, so we started to ease production of CFCs and other halogen compounds, and use O3 instead. Propane is just as good of a refrigerant as CFCs, but people are afraid of it, because it can be used as a fuel, so they immediately consider it to be a bomb - even though its flashpoint is ridiculously high. You can convert many car's A/C system over to propane, and even the engine in its hottest state will not cause it to combust. As we eased in the production, use, built reclamation of CFC refrigerants, and better contained leaks in older systems, the pressure of CFC/Ozone awareness lessened, and we started to focus on the next big thing. Fossil Fuels, and their impact on the environment.

Is our impact on the environment producing a tried and tested greenhouse gas experiment on a planetary level? I have no fucking clue. I don't know volumetric chemistry at that level. hell, it was one of my worst subjects in academia. But there is enough concern in bright minds of people who have a mind in that direction to help contain it, that I'm not just going to ignore it.

Eh. I definitely have a foot in the race for the belief of Milankovitch cycles, but I also have one in the race for the ecological impacts by human involvement resulting in climate changes.

Milankovitch had some flaws, as most of his were unproven observations. His span of 100,000 elliptical orbit expansion cycles were varied in his writings from 41,000 to 100,000. The data he used had fluctuations that did not meet up properly with gravitational properties found in physics as we know them. They were largely supported by them, but there are too large of gaps between the spaces of the missing 59,000 years to be compounded into a set of theories that could be considered ONLY to be in relation to orbital expansion.

Ecological impact of human involvement with Carbon Dioxide and Monoxide gases into the atmosphere have been supported with experiments as well as historical data of atmospheric measurements of gases present at various periods of time from the 1940s on.

The volume calculations of atmospheric dissipation of greenhouse gases has only been observed, not properly experimented, and it is still unknown how much actually leaves the atmosphere.

The funny thing, is that we are starting to notice similar correlations to the amount of helium retained within the planet and the amount the temperature goes up. We use helium in balloons and POOF. it vanishes. It is an inert gas, so it bonds to absolutely nothing. It gets removed from sources deep underground along with fuel gases, it gets pumped into pressurized containers, placed into balloons, and then POOF. it vanishes into space, never to return.

Helium goes down, and the temperature goes up.

Well... this is an observation, but does it have any correlation?

No. No.. highly unlikely, because helium is inert; it doesn't bond with anything in any chemical process at all.

We have so many observations that have been made in the world, but the ones that are most commonly analyzed are the numbers of gases that stay within the atmosphere, and continue to be detected, while temperatures rise. So then, we test experiments in controlled vacuums, and similar, and get similar results when we test the same gases within them. Chlorofluorocarbons (or halogens in general) cause photodissociation reactions in upper atmospheres to bond with the unstable O3 atom (ozone) and result in O2 and any Oxide bonds from the broken halogens produced by man in the atmosphere.

In the 80s, we were worried about the ozone layer, so we started to ease production of CFCs and other halogen compounds, and use O3 instead. Propane is just as good of a refrigerant as CFCs, but people are afraid of it, because it can be used as a fuel, so they immediately consider it to be a bomb - even though its flashpoint is ridiculously high. You can convert many car's A/C system over to propane, and even the engine in its hottest state will not cause it to combust. As we eased in the production, use, built reclamation of CFC refrigerants, and better contained leaks in older systems, the pressure of CFC/Ozone awareness lessened, and we started to focus on the next big thing. Fossil Fuels, and their impact on the environment.

Is our impact on the environment producing a tried and tested greenhouse gas experiment on a planetary level? I have no fucking clue. I don't know volumetric chemistry at that level. hell, it was one of my worst subjects in academia. But there is enough concern in bright minds of people who have a mind in that direction to help contain it, that I'm not just going to ignore it.
i just read an interesting article how they can't measure or even see i the gasses are leaving earth... some scientist believe so because there have have been ocean algaes and other weird random earth based particles found in low space orbit... they blame the wind... the same scientist said that if that trash is floating up there, then we should be leaving a streak of gasses and other trash in space as we supposedly travel through space at a bajillion miles per hour... LOL...

but a lot of the "science" is just speculation... i see that it's good for people to recycle and clean up the oceans, garbage island and what not... but that's all it is... it's like a huge lie they're giving us... not like i get mad when people recycle or drive a prius.. LOL, but why can't they just show us what people really find... everytime something contradicts the old science stuff it gets unfunded, or left in the dark... they found new evidence that humans were 30k years old... but it's obviously inconclusive and pseudo science... LOL... and got it's funding dropped... it's crazy... the science religion is jacked up...

djrice69

SocaliReef M0DERAT0R IG Farmedfrags
Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
[video]https://youtube.com/watch?v=hOsZOpp6x4c[/video]

Diver Dan

What do you think increasing atmospheric CO2 levels will do to the oceans pH? What will adding a CO2 diffuser to your reef tank do?

In my opinion, its very dofficult to have to look at your reef tank everyday and not buy into the fact that humans impact on the environment is happening. The earth and our environment contains a network of variables and you can not say that if you change one variable you will not affect the rest of the system. It has to change to balance the equation. You cant just make stuff appear or disappear out of thin air.

if you increase CO2 in your reef tank your pH will drop. Your falling pH will be buffered by carbonates and this will decrease your buffering capacity. Your alkalinity falling with lead to more likeliness for changes in pH to occur. This is, as well as a multitude of other human caused factors all putting pressures on coral reef systems happening on a giant scale in the ocean, is negatively affecting all of our oceans.

SJacob164

Scientists can't even correctly predict the weather a week in advance consistently . They have never protected us from earthquakes or tornados . Of course they are all going to jump on the climate change bandwagon to feel like they actually know something when in reality they are all just speculating . When scientists come up with a plan to regulate the temperature of the earth I'll donate my fish tank to science.

sorry, but i forgot what this thread was about, and since it's coral related, am not gonna re-read it... i'm over corals and reef tanks...

and yes, co2 causes algae blooms and coral blooms in the oceans... but don't know what your point is...