Living with Cyano

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
that Cyano might be coming from a carbon source as it's bacteria. You're not doing any form of carbon dosing in any way are you? Also, I've used KZ Coral Snow with great results and not affect the tank

Beautiful tank Nick! I'm a softies fan myself, but quite impressive! Is the tank getting any natural sunlight? I like to let my tank get some indirect sunlight everyday. I've always noticed during the summer months that even indirect sunlight seems to fuel the cyano. Mine would always be on the sand bed as well. Like you, I just get the sand vacuumed, and removed it weekly. It would always die off towards the end of summer at the latest.

that Cyano might be coming from a carbon source as it's bacteria. You're not doing any form of carbon dosing in any way are you? Also, I've used KZ Coral Snow with great results and not affect the tank
Nope, no carbon dosing.
I tried coral snow, it's not doing much. I've used it before, and it really helped my cyano.

Beautiful tank Nick! I'm a softies fan myself, but quite impressive! Is the tank getting any natural sunlight? I like to let my tank get some indirect sunlight everyday. I've always noticed during the summer months that even indirect sunlight seems to fuel the cyano. Mine would always be on the sand bed as well. Like you, I just get the sand vacuumed, and removed it weekly. It would always die off towards the end of summer at the latest.
No sunlight. :/

If the Acros are happy keep doing what you're doing !
My tank looks good with several months of neglect :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those things are not as accurate as the full size unit, also silicates can fuel Cyano growth among other things, not just Phos. But sure, remove your sand bed instead of doing a perfectly safe dose of chemiclean, dosing MB7, or anything else suggested as solutions here in this thread.

Those things are not as accurate as the full size unit, also silicates can fuel Cyano growth among other things, not just Phos. But sure, remove your sand bed instead of doing a perfectly safe dose of chemiclean, dosing MB7, or anything else suggested as solutions here in this thread.
I'll never use chemiclean in my tank. I know some people have luck with it, but I'm not willing to risk it. When you have a tank full of large sps colonies, pouring chemicals/antibiotics into it is always risky.
I've tried MB7 before and never saw any change in cyano growth. It was probably 2 years ago. I can try it again, but I doubt it will do anything.

chulP

I battled with cyano for the past 2-3 months, vacuumed constantly and added more flow near the sand, nothing seemed to work. Bit the bullet and dosed chemiclean, been free of it since, never came back. I understand your position though, I'd be really scared to do it if I had all those beautiful colonies. My tank is still pretty new and just has some frags in it, so I just rolled the dice and it worked.

Latest posts