Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build

@D-MAN 860g Rare Fish Galore

Tank info:
860g plywood build, operational since November 1st, 15'
Dimensions are 145"x32x43

This tank has been an awesome build that started out with the wife telling me to go as big as I want. Well, given the space I had(in a town home) I was able to squeeze roughly 860g plywood build with a 220g plywood build sump underneath. It's not the first time I've done this, but due to a short sale back in 09' I had to get rid of my first 800g tank after a year of operation.

The tank consists of 1" plywood back and bottom secured with wood glue and screws to the 3/4 woods sides and 2x4 and 2x6 front frame. The glass itself is 3/4" low iron glass on the front. Without getting in to all the finer points, it is waterproof using Bluemax rubber paint with many, many coats allowing for a thick barrier. All the joints were reinforced prior to the Bluemax using spare carbon fiber matting coated with 2 part epoxy resin. The glass was affixed to the front interior with lots and lots of silicone. This was by far the hardest part. It dries so quickly and having some much space to cover before the glass was set in place meant a lot of rushing and a lot of inhaling of the vinegary fumes. But alas, it was in. A couple weeks of cure time and it was the all important leak test....

Fast forward to installation day and we're all good. Me and a few buddies(8 others) had to maneuver this bad boy into the Uhual, then unload it and move it down a pathway, elevate it a few stairs and then squeeze it through the front door. Yes I measured it for that, hence only 32" width.

Filtration
220g sump made the same way as the tank.
BK 300ext skimmer (I run internal cuz I'm paranoid of overflows)
Geo 618 CaRX ( yes it's small, and yes I refill it every few months, but I'm cheap)
Large chaeto section lit by leds
GFO reactor and GAC reactor run off a T from fluval sp6
Main pump is also a separate fluval sp6

Lighting
6 Marsaqua 300watt led panels light the beast blues are set at 100% and whites are about 70%
Plus 4 x80 wt anti blue plus t5s run from workhorse7 ballasts
All blues come on at 2pm and off at 10pm
All whites/uv/reds come on at 2:30 and off at 9:30

Flow
There is roughly 50k gph of flow in the tank via
1 full sp6 return
1 3/4 full power sp6
4 wp60 jebaos
2 rw20 jebaos
2 gyre xf250s
1 cp55 jebao crossflow

Inhabitants
The tank is mixed reef with primarily lps and zoas, but a few sps. I went through a few all spikes and lost some nice sos colonies while I was on vacation a year ago and haven't really gone full bore yet since I like fish more
A few of the notable fish are my
Captive bred G. Personatus
Joculator angel
Gem tang
Black tang
C.efatensis wrasse
Magma wrasse
There's roughly 60 fish in there currently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeOTdKUT07A https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc9IS3JWaDw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2nrXflgcNQ

This tank has been so fun and rewarding to do and my family, friends and I always enjoy taking the time to just investigate all the life cruising around in our little box of ocean.

Please help me thank Derek for volunteering his time to do a write up of his amazing and gigantic system by leaving a comment below

Someone's spoiled. I think you need a Zebra Eel in it. When do you want to pick it up?

reefrf

I had the pleasure recently to see this in person, an awesome reef aquarium!! Congratulations Derek!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pgr11

Supporter
This is a awesome. I've always been intrigued by the plywood builds.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
This is a awesome. I've always been intrigued by the plywood builds.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Check out DIY king he just made one. The process is so cool.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Latest posts