Home Fumigation and Reeftanks

Hi,

Maybe someone has been through this and can offer some advice.

My wife is pestering me to have our house fumigated. They say they are going to tent the house for 2 days.

She doesnt want to use alternative method like Orange Oil or heat. Has to be fumigated with gas.

I have a 180 gallon established reef tank and really don't want to have to rip everything apart then store it someplace and then bring it back.

Has anyone been through this and can offer advise/ alternatives.

Before you say it getting rid of my wife it was a thought but that's not going to happen otherwise i'll lose my dog as well.

Thanks

I'm having our home tented at the end of the month and was planning on taking the tank down...I talked to the exterminator yesterday and one of the things they have you do is double bag all your food. It made me wonder if I could use painters plastic (or thicker) and tape off a small "room" around the tank area and just let it run normal for three days?

Just thinking out loud...am I missing something?

Steve, that is what I was thinking and then running an airline in from outside. Maybe also throw some wet towels over the top of the tank and then hope for the best.

I took my tank down but I heard of people wrapping the tank and running an air stone from outside. Also if the tank is against the wall you can cover your tank with double plastic and run 8" ducts. One for intake and one for exhaust. Just tape the plastic along the wall above the lights all the way to the floor around your tank.

Last edited:
Went through it a few months ago. I moved the livestock to another temporary holding tank at my parents place and move the tank itself to the side yard outside of the house completely. It took some work but I'm glad I did it that way. Moved the tank back inside the house after a few days of airing it out to be safe. I thought about covering it and letting it ride but got scared as I read more into the vikane gas they use. Nasty stuff

Do not chance it. Do it right and find a temporary home for your livestock, even if it is just a couple of 40gal breeders with 3 and 4" pvc hides and cycled canister filters.