BouncingSoul's 50 Gallon SPS Tank

Tank is coming along nicely. A bit of an algae bloom at the moment but mix of snails are taking care of it. First Coral in! Nice size Miami Hurricane mini colony.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Added an Amazon LED grow bulb 24W with red and blue LEDs to the sump. Got a small clump of chaeto which I'm trying to have as my main source of nutrient export this time. In the past I've relied on Rowaphos to remove phosphate and silicates, water changes done weekly for nitrate. I will still be doing weekly water changes once SPS are in. For now, bi- weekly 10% changes.

Haven't updated in a long time. Just cleaned and did a water change today. I've barely added any corals. First round of SPS I bought all died. Super discouraging. So, I've been letting the tank mature so that won't happen when I try again. IMG_1909.jpg

five.five-six

2020 Philanthropist
Id say to start with a orange digi or purple stylo, the are both pretty forgiving as SPS go and super cheep.

You wont need a chiller, Im running 2X radium B (20K) on a magnetic M80 ballest. Partly because of cost but mostly because they look better than any LED setup Ive seen. People complaining about halides heating the house and youge electrical bills, its more about the chiller than the halides. I spend more electricity heating my tank than lighting it with halides.

I didnt see what you are using for flow. I love cubes but they are kinda tricky that way. Also, love the light bracket.

Bonus points for ASM skimmer, Im running a euroreef.

I like the rockwork. Any idea why the first round was unsuccessful?
My best guess is that it was just "too soon". Starting with dead rock, tank takes longer to mature. My Alk was also too high 11-12dkh from starting off with Reef Crystals salt which in hindsight I think was a bad idea.

Id say to start with a orange digi or purple stylo, the are both pretty forgiving as SPS go and super cheep.

You wont need a chiller, Im running 2X radium B (20K) on a magnetic M80 ballest. Partly because of cost but mostly because they look better than any LED setup Ive seen. People complaining about halides heating the house and youge electrical bills, its more about the chiller than the halides. I spend more electricity heating my tank than lighting it with halides.

I didnt see what you are using for flow. I love cubes but they are kinda tricky that way. Also, love the light bracket.

Bonus points for ASM skimmer, Im running a euroreef.
Thanks Mark. If you can see the Bubble Gum Digi there at the bottom center and the Ponape birds nest to the right of it both are doing well and the Digi has been in the whole time and growing slowly but steadily. I swapped the Radium Halide out for a 4 bulb T5HO fixture because I decided on having a lower PAR SPS tank with slower growth which will be less maintenance for me. I will try some hardier Acros again soon when I can find some bargains on my favorites. The Cube shape is a PITA for flow and I just don't like it though the starfire glass is very nice. My yellow Tang is also not loving life with the limited swimming length. The ASM skimmer works great but the operational noise of it is bothersome even with the quieter Sicce pump and sitting on a silicone pot holder. I'm planning to switch from the cube to a petco standard 75 gallon that will be a sumpless setup at some point this year utilizing Tunze's internal protein skimmer with a lightly stocked tank and a 4ft. 4 bulb or 6 bulb T5HO fixture.

Latest posts