Chloramine test

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Any suggestions for a chloramine test? I went to Leslie's pool supply but they on have chlorine tests

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Wouldn't your water district tell you if they use chloramine in their treatment.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I think it's a free chlorine test you're looking for. I think all so cal water districts use chloramines
thefilterguys sells a kit. I think brs sells one too.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
I have one i never used if you want in West Covina

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for your kindness but a little too far.
I think it's a free chlorine test you're looking for. I think all so cal water districts use chloramines
thefilterguys sells a kit. I think brs sells one too.
Ok. I'll take a look for that kind of kit
Wouldn't your water district tell you if they use chloramine in their treatment.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
I'm sure they do but I want to make sure my RO/DI is eliminating it

Speaker73

Premium Member
Supporter
Can't you use Prime water conditioner to neutralize the chloramine just in case?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Can't you use Prime water conditioner to neutralize the chloramine just in case?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
You can but if there are no chloramines or chlorine to remove, are there any negative affects of adding prime?

watchguy123

Featured Reef
I didn't even know that there was a chloramine test kit. I had problems a long time back and seemed to think that chloramines might be the culprit. First I tried to rule everything out, replaced lots of equipment like pumps in case they were the source of issues. I basically ruled everything else out by a slow and determined process of elimination. When I added a chloramine filter, problems gone. But I'm so paranoid that I replace my sediment, carbon and chloramine filters every three months now. As expensive as that is to replace the filters, it ultimately seemed cheaper than having problems with my sps.

I think a lot of issues are related to spent or inadequate Carbon block filters. People get caught up in the whole TDS meter thing and they don't realize they're only seeing half the picture. It's also not a supject that talked about all that often. It's out their but you gotta look for it and read between the lines.

I run a chloramine filter, and change it every 6-8 months. I called my water provider, and they told me they do not use chloramines in the water. I was under the impression everyone was doing it.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
I run a chloramine filter, and change it every 6-8 months. I called my water provider, and they told me they do not use chloramines in the water. I was under the impression everyone was doing it.
Even if you run a chloramine filter, there might be a chance that some chloramines get through.