Stand for a 240

robirwin

Hi,

I'm trying to purchase a 240 gallon stand and canopy - I have the acrylic tank and everything else I need at the moment. The tank is 6ft by 2ft. I live in San Diego. Where is the best place to buy a stand and canopy? In person or online? I think I would like oak with an expresso stain. I just haven't figured out the best way to get one - buying online seems like you don't get a chance to see what it really looks like until it shows up at your house. Anyways, any input or recommendations about the best place to buy one would be nice!

How do I get access to the Marketplace > Wanted to buy ---so I can post this message there?

thanks,
Rob

I would just find a reputable LFS in your area. One the keeps tanks and stands in stock. So at least you can see the quality of the brand of equipment you will purchase. Then you will likely have to order the specific size that you need. Another good way to go is to find a local Reefer selling out. Lots of people cash out for many different reasons and great deals are to be had (it's a buyers market for that kind of stuff). You can build it yourself if you're into that type of thing or have something custom made. Personally I would skip the whole buying online site unseen type of thing. Shipping will eat you alive and online pictures can be deceiving . You can quickly end up with something that you don't want and it's not going to be easy to return it. Also Stay away from presswood or you will be buying another stand in a couple of years. There's a guy out of Long Beach I think, that builds stands and canopy's, and appears to do good work. Looks like he builds them for hobbyist as well as LFS's in the area. Then you would need to finish it yourself.

reefking

I use to build custom stands for people back in the day. I would advise against oak if you're going with espresso stain. You're just wasting your money. I guess if you're limited to stands from LFS then you don't have much choice. But, if you are asking for a custom build then consider poplar or birch. It's cheaper then oak and will stain dark just fine.