User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Registered Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you guys ever seen coraline stay purple on dead rock? I don't remember seeing any coraline on the dry pukani rocks I used to start the tank. I am see spots of coraline here and there and think it's pretty early for the tank to start growing it already. I haven't introduced any corals or cleanup crew that may seed the tank with coraline.

Another issue I'm having is something in the tank is using up my ALK. A couple weeks ago, the tank was at 6.2 DKH and I dosed the tank up to 8 DKH. Yesterday, the tank was at 6.2 DKH again and had to does to bring it up. What can use up ALK with no corals in the tank? I'll test for CA and MG and see if those are being used up also.

Registered Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This afternoon, I checked on the KHG to find that it had an error readying. SW>ERR, basically telling me the KHG is not getting enough SW into the reaction chamber fast enough to before the test can begin. I did everything stated in the manual to try and correct the problem, no dice. I looked in the reaction chamber and found that the float switch in the reaction chamber was not able to move freely. I could manually remove it but when water filled the chamber, it did not float up by itself. I found there is a magnetic agitator below the float switch, it looks like a little white pill. I took this out and moved it lower down the reaction chamber. This fixed the problem and the KHG finally processed a test without any errors. Each test performed while I was home was double checked with the hanna alkalinity checker and salifert alk test. All test came out very close in results. I'm currently using the KHG to dial in my alk doses. I'm currently dosing 36ml a day of ESV alk even with zero corals in the tank, weird. The KHG is also dosing sodium bicarbonate to try to keep the levels at 8 DKH. Here is a log from today.

08/05 00:44:42 W.131 %0 AK. 0.00 KH :8.00
    08/05 04:38:48 W.132 %0 AK.68.00 KH :7.89
    08/05 08:56:23 W.176 KS=55D L%0 S%0 SW>_ERR KH :7.88
    08/05 12:13:58 RESET !
    08/05 12:14:51 W.176 KS=0D L%0 S%0 SW>_ERR KH :0.00
    08/05 12:15:53 W.176 KS=0D L%0 S%0 SW>_ERR KH :0.00
    08/05 12:16:23 RESET !
    08/05 12:16:52 W.176 KS=0D L%0 S%0 SW>_ERR KH :0.00
    08/05 12:22:30 RESET !
    08/05 12:32:43 W.176 KS=56D L%0 S%0 SW>_ERR KH :7.93
    08/05 12:34:23 Test KH doser
    08/05 12:38:57 RESET !
    08/05 12:40:15 W.176 KS=0D L%0 S%0 SW>_ERR KH :0.00
    08/05 12:41:45 W.176 KS=0D L%0 S%0 SW>_ERR KH :0.00
    08/05 12:52:56 W.176 KS=0D L%0 S%0 SW>_ERR KH :0.00
    08/05 16:22:37 RESET !
    08/05 16:25:53 W.176 KS=0D L%0 S%0 SW>_ERR KH :0.00
    08/05 16:30:01 W.176 KS=0D L%0 S%0 SW>_ERR KH :0.00
    08/05 16:34:42 W.176 KS=0D L%0 S%0 SW>_ERR KH :0.00
    08/05 16:40:24 RESET !
    08/05 16:40:59 W.176 KS=0D L%0 S%0 SW>_ERR KH :0.00
    08/05 16:48:02 W.176 KS=0D L%0 S%0 SW>_ERR KH :0.00
    08/05 17:01:16 RESET !
    08/05 17:15:10 W.130 KS=38D L%0 S%0 AC_ERR KH :5.52
    08/05 17:19:27 RESET !
    08/05 17:30:26 W.128 %0 AK.64.00 KH :7.89
    08/05 17:53:07 Save New System Environment.
    08/05 17:54:01 Save New System Environment.
    08/05 17:55:16 Save New System Environment.
    08/05 17:55:55 Save New System Environment.
    08/05 18:07:15 W.128 %0 AK.95.00 KH :7.74
    08/05 18:08:27 Save New System Environment.
    08/05 20:41:29 W.129 %0 AK. 0.00 KH :7.99

Registered Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is the KHG log for today. It's been very accurate and consistent in the result. I cross check the result. I will perform a test while the KHG is doing it's test and the values are always similar. This device makes dialing in a doser a lot easier. However, I'm up to 96 ml of alk and ca. I literally only have one SPS frag in there to see if it will survive and color up before I purchase more SPS. My rocks are turning green, does that algae uptake ca and alk like purple coraline does? I'm stumped on what is using up all my ca and alk. ca and alk are dosed one hour apart from each other 12 times a day. I don't see any precipitate on any of the pumps. At this rate, I'm going to have to move to a calcium reactor soon once I start adding corals.

08/06 03:16:16 W.129 %0 AK. 0.00 KH :7.94
    08/06 03:24:23 Save New System Environment.
    08/06 07:35:18 W.131 %0 AK. 0.00 KH :7.98
    08/06 11:46:27 W.135 %0 AK. 0.00 KH :7.98
    08/06 15:57:48 W.131 %0 AK. 0.00 KH :7.98
    08/06 20:16:19 W.134 %0 AK.34.00 KH :7.89
    08/06 23:38:10 W.132 %0 AK.95.00 KH :7.79

Contributing Member
    Name
    jose Serrano
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Green algae shouldn't, but other than coralline, I am not sure. Maybe ask Randy on R2R.

Registered Member
    Name
    Fishnugget
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mike810 View Post
    Have you guys ever seen coraline stay purple on dead rock? I don't remember seeing any coraline on the dry pukani rocks I used to start the tank. I am see spots of coraline here and there and think it's pretty early for the tank to start growing it already. I haven't introduced any corals or cleanup crew that may seed the tank with coraline.

Another issue I'm having is something in the tank is using up my ALK. A couple weeks ago, the tank was at 6.2 DKH and I dosed the tank up to 8 DKH. Yesterday, the tank was at 6.2 DKH again and had to does to bring it up. What can use up ALK with no corals in the tank? I'll test for CA and MG and see if those are being used up also.
    Mike I set my tank up in December of 2016 and it took about 6 months until I started seeing small amounts of corralline algae. I am at about 8 months and now have an explosion of corralline algae in the back of the glass. I see my dry rock finally getting visible patches of coralline algae. You just have to be patient, it will come.

As far as your tank using up ALK, it has been known that lanthanum chloride can drop your alk levels. Have you dosed any lanthanum chloride? You might want to read up on that if your using it. Also, I think GFO can do the same, drive alk levels down but don't quote me on that. I remember reading it somewhere.

Registered Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fishnugget View Post
    Mike I set my tank up in December of 2016 and it took about 6 months until I started seeing small amounts of corralline algae. I am at about 8 months and now have an explosion of corralline algae in the back of the glass. I see my dry rock finally getting visible patches of coralline algae. You just have to be patient, it will come.

As far as your tank using up ALK, it has been known that lanthanum chloride can drop your alk levels. Have you dosed any lanthanum chloride? You might want to read up on that if your using it. Also, I think GFO can do the same, drive alk levels down but don't quote me on that. I remember reading it somewhere.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I'm not wishing for the coraline algae, I'm just seeing it on some of my rocks and in my experience, they turn white when dead especially coming from dry rock. So I was just surprised to see purple spots on several of my rocks already. That's why I asked if coraline algae would stay purple on dry rock as I did not remember seeing them when I set the rocks in my tank. I'm not dosing LC so not sure why I'm having to dose so much CA and ALK with only SPS frag in there. I'm literally up to 120ml a day or CA and ALK.

Contributing Member
    Name
    jose Serrano
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

side note, are you going to stick with the doser or eventually switch over to a CA reactor?

Registered Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm planning to pick up a carx. I'm just trying to decide which one I want to go with. I know GEO is the go to everyone likes but I'm also very interested in the Dastaco A3. I'm new to carx so the simplier, the better. Pricing the two out, the Dastaco is only a few hundred off from a GEO with a second chamber. I'd also need to buy a PM1 and a PH probe if I go with a geo and plumb my system to feed the GEO. With a Dastaco, it already has a feed doser.

Contributing Member
    Name
    jose Serrano
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mike810 View Post
    I'm planning to pick up a carx. I'm just trying to decide which one I want to go with. I know GEO is the go to everyone likes but I'm also very interested in the Dastaco A3. I'm new to carx so the simplier, the better. Pricing the two out, the Dastaco is only a few hundred off from a GEO with a second chamber. I'd also need to buy a PM1 and a PH probe if I go with a geo and plumb my system to feed the GEO. With a Dastaco, it already has a feed doser.
    Yup, Dastaco would also not need an additional PH probe. We had a talk about Calcium reactors last month at the SCMAS club. Learned a lot about these guys, I would totally get one if I had the $$$ and was buying a new CA reactor. Call Joe at unique Corals, I am sure he would be more then happy to answer any questions or help.

Registered Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm heading to Unique Corals tomorrow afternoon to pick up the Dastaco A3

11. Likes joseserrano liked this post
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Congrats Mike! My wallet hurts reading your thread, nice toys! Your attention to detail is incredible. I had a similar problem with Fritz salt and was told to mix and use it right away and that if I leave mixing the alk would fall even lower than your 6.2 reading. I mix large batches and do auto water change at 6 gallons a day with a Genesis Renew. My water can be mixed for a month so the salt would not work for me. I switched to Tropic Marin and my alk has been very stable at 8.4 and I am dosing 1/3 less 2 part to maintain. I do not understand the chemistry of the alk leaching out of Fritz if you keep mixing, but suspect something similar is going on with you? I would very much like to see all your reef toys in action, I am planning some upgrades shortly and a CA reactor and Alk monitoring are on my list. Awesome build, thanks for sharing!

Contributing Member
    Name
    jose Serrano
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How exciting, please share the pics when you set it up

Reefer Madness
    Name
    Shaun
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This build is insane lol you spent more on the water change station then I did on my full setup bahaha.
    We Build We Fight

Registered Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pciscott View Post
    Congrats Mike! My wallet hurts reading your thread, nice toys! Your attention to detail is incredible. I had a similar problem with Fritz salt and was told to mix and use it right away and that if I leave mixing the alk would fall even lower than your 6.2 reading. I mix large batches and do auto water change at 6 gallons a day with a Genesis Renew. My water can be mixed for a month so the salt would not work for me. I switched to Tropic Marin and my alk has been very stable at 8.4 and I am dosing 1/3 less 2 part to maintain. I do not understand the chemistry of the alk leaching out of Fritz if you keep mixing, but suspect something similar is going on with you? I would very much like to see all your reef toys in action, I am planning some upgrades shortly and a CA reactor and Alk monitoring are on my list. Awesome build, thanks for sharing!
    Thanks Scott! How is your tank doing? Last I remember was you were working on the plumbing to your fish room in the garage. I'm sure your build did a number on your wallet too, lol! I was considering switching back to red sea blue bucket or going back to the first salt I ever used which was the Tropic marin. Either way, I'm trying to get rid of the Fritz. Shoot me a PM, you're more than welcome to check out the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohiostreetz View Post
    This build is insane lol you spent more on the water change station then I did on my full setup bahaha.

Registered Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took a trip to Unique Corals on Saturday. It was a three hour round trip, traffic the entire way. It was totally worth it though, Tim gave me a tour of the facility and it was awesome! The Dastaco they have setup there is ridiculously huge. Sunday I went to work setting up the reactor which took some time as this is my first calcium reactor. After everything was setup, I had a heck of a time trying to get the co2 reaction chamber to purge the water out so the float switch could do it's thing. I was never able to get it to work and found out that the outlet on the controller that controls the co2 solenoid is faulty. It was not providing any power to the solenoid to let co2 in. This took me quite some time to figure out. This morning, I call Joe at Unique Corals and he is having a new controller sent out to me. So for now, it's filled and ready to go but stuck in limbo. Hopefully I'll get it up and running tomorrow evening if the controller gets here tomorrow. Here are some pics of the calcium reactor, it's pretty big. Luckily, I left enough space at the end of the tank for this very reason. I did get to play with the controller a bit and I like that I only have to adjust a dial to increase alk/ca dosage. No fiddling with bubble counters, PH or effluent rate. You do have to setup the controller upon first start up to keep the CO2 solenoid open for a minimum of 2 minutes and a maximum of 3 minutes so it can purge the co2 reaction chamber of water. There is also an option to vent the reactor X amount of times a day to get rid of any air that builds up inside the reaction chamber. This is also adjusted with a dial.

Initially I planned to pick up a Avast Marine Davy Jones Skimmate locker but I didn't really have a good spot for it to make maintenance easy so I put this ghetto skimmate locker together using a cereal storage container. It does it's job but it stinks up the entire living room every time I drain it. I may just ditch it and run a line from my GHL doser to the cup and drain it outside to a drain. This will also cut down on maintenance which I'm all about. I'm a lazy reefer.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information