Mixing salt and water change

CyberGuy

How long do you let your salt mix stand before you put it in the tank for water changes?

Anyone here just mix it and let it stand for about 1 hour and put it in the tank?

Have you tested the water right after you mix and then tested it 12-24 hours later after aeration? ;)

Jessy

I don't think I've ever left it sit 24 hours TO test it....Are there big differences?

if you check salinity every hour after mixing, you will see the salt levels change, especially with the saltieer water, being heavier, sinking to a lower level...

If the water is well mixed, and fully saturated to the levels you need, I dont think there is a rek in putting that mix into the tank, but I would wait twenty four hours at least, make sure the pH is the same. I think that is the KEY to adding water and minimizing shock...

bill

Danger731

I use oceanic pre mixed for 5 gallon bags. I wait till there is no more residue then dump into the sump. So prolly 2 hours.

I drain and fill at the sump, (the sump is outside), as it dont matter where the water comes from it is all the same...

I usually clean the tank, wipe the walls down, scoop up somesand pellets or other dterius that I see layaround, and when teh stuff is in the water column, I drain water from my sump, (About 20-30 gallons). This is a bit more then my sump can handle, so I have to turn my return pump off, (which I clean and put back online after), then close the drain valve, then open the WC valve, and add back water to the sump and after about five gallons, I turn the return pupmp onk, then the skimmer, until water is replced...

The other things I do ischeck the pH of the new water and the salinity, although I checked the salinity the night before... I also turn off the Top-off water sensors...

I change the filter socks after the water change, (About a half hour or so), to make sure I catch all the crap inteh water column)

my tank is 180 andthe sump holds 55 but has about35 in it