Your tank crash stories?

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
I figure we can start this thread to learn from each others mistake. I had 2 notable "crashes" over my my 14 years of reef keeping.

2013 -
Casualty: 80% of my fish in a fully stocked 300 fully reef.
Cause: Added a new fish (borbonius anthia) with only 2 weeks of qt. No treatment and just observation during the 2 weeks of qt. Introduced velvet to my tank.
Outcome: Breakdown of the reef to qt the surviving fish and ultimately the breakdown of the entire reef.
Lesson learned: Make sure you qt all new fish from LFS for at least 30 days. Stay patient even if fish looks healthy and eating.

2017 -
Casualty: 90% of my SPS (Some huge colonies)
Cause: Alk spiking from 8 to 10.
Outcome: Still fighting to keep the remaining SPS alive. Will be more focus on a mixed reef vs SPS dominated.
Lesson learned: Check your ALK weekly. There are too many variables that can cause the ALK to swing.

What are your Tank crash stories and what did you learn from it?

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Flatworm exit and flatworm exit. Good news is I don't have any more flatworms. Bad news is I don't have anymore anything. This was last year. Now I have a new and bigger tank and sloooooowwwwly stocking it and letting it do it's thang. Hope your SPS bounce back Mike.

Flatworm exit and flatworm exit. Good news is I don't have any more flatworms. Bad news is I don't have anymore anything. This was last year. Now I have a new and bigger tank and sloooooowwwwly stocking it and letting it do it's thang. Hope your SPS bounce back Mike.
dude, didn't you read my thread about flatworm exit...??? LMAO....

i had two crashes in reefs... one, the heater went up to 90, and the second time was flatworm exit... i've had more freshwater tanks crash... lost more money in them too...

Two tank crashes both were due to ato malfunction while on vacation
Don't trust jbj for that readon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Girlfriend! I only read about your chicken threads. lol How many chicken coops have you crashed?
dude, didn't you read my thread about flatworm exit...??? LMAO....

i had two crashes in reefs... one, the heater went up to 90, and the second time was flatworm exit... i've had more freshwater tanks crash... lost more money in them too...

Girlfriend! I only read about your chicken threads. lol How many chicken coops have you crashed?
4srsly... i've had a huge crash... some kid gave me a sick chicken and it infected all of my birds... lost about 120 out of 180 birds... huge money... most of them were 1st place show birds from other states...

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
4srsly... i've had a huge crash... some kid gave me a sick chicken and it infected all of my birds... lost about 120 out of 180 birds... huge money... most of them were 1st place show birds from other states...
Dayamn!

Latest posts