Choosing pump, Cross flow CP -40 or Rw8?

Helo guys my name is HERON and I'm from Brazil and I'm just starting here and also reefing.

Can you guys please help me to choose between CP-40 and RW 8? I'll buy 2 pumps.

My tank will be an 180 gallon 185 cm X 60cm X 60 cm.

Sorry for the poor english.

I'll be really greatfull if you can help me.

Enviado de meu SM-G955F usando Tapatalk

djrice69

SocaliReef M0DERAT0R IG Farmedfrags
Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
You should get the rw-15 or pp-15

My vote is for two CP-40 or one CP-55. CP models are not junk at all. In fact, they're probably more reliable than those Maxspect which btw are made in the same factories in the same city in China.

joseserrano

2020 Contributor
I have heard that the CP's for whatever reason have failed a lot. I know they are produced in the same facility, but have heard of a lot of them failing. maybe when they come out with a second version they will improve.

djrice69

Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
I just think the rw pp series are better for random flow patterns once corals grow and block flow you can move it to tighter dead spots. The cp would be better suited for frag tank that don't have much rock work

My vote is for two CP-40 or one CP-55. CP models are not junk at all. In fact, they're probably more reliable than those Maxspect which btw are made in the same factories in the same city in China.
Tnks man!

I just think the rw pp series are better for random flow patterns once corals grow and block flow you can move it to tighter dead spots. The cp would be better suited for frag tank that don't have much rock work
This is not correct. The entire point of a CP pump is to create a circular Gyre of water flowing in the aquarium. It is one of the most efficient ways to do so and the Gyre current will move the water around rock just fine. You are correct though about chaotic random flow being created better by individual power heads. In a long tank like that though I think it would be a lot easier to create a Gyre with two pumps and eliminate almost all dead spots than it would be with individual power heads of which you would probably need four of them.

djrice69

Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
[video]https://youtu.be/lSyXKpl2xEs[/video]

BeanMachine

Supporter
Is budget the reason you are wanting jebao pumps? I'd prefer something more reliable. A tunze controllable pump for instance.

Have 4 jebao power heads on my tank now all 4 years old, not one issue so far besides having to clean. Doesn't get much more reliable for the price.

BeanMachine

Supporter
Have 4 jebao power heads on my tank now all 4 years old, not one issue so far besides having to clean. Doesn't get much more reliable for the price.
While I'm sure that's true, I've read countless threads and have a number of friends that have had them last less than a year, maybe two years before the controller dies or something else goes wrong.

But yes 4 years on those pumps is definitely great for the price. I would just prefer to leave home with more piece of mind.

joseserrano

2020 Contributor
I agree with cody. Yes they are a great buy, and if we changed them routinely at the year mark, they would def be worth it, but none of us do that. We don't change/replace them till something goes wrong, and tanks tend to follow murphy's law.

While I'm sure that's true, I've read countless threads and have a number of friends that have had them last less than a year, maybe two years before the controller dies or something else goes wrong.

But yes 4 years on those pumps is definitely great for the price. I would just prefer to leave home with more piece of mind.

Had good luck with the first generation Jeabo wavemaker pumps. They lasted 3 to 4 years. However had horrific results from their cp40 crossflow gyer. Lasted under six months, repair parts from fish street lasted only another 2 months. Definitely would not buy the CP.

Tnks all of you guys !!!
I choose 2 CP-25 once the distributor don't have CP-40
, as soon as it running I ll give you the feedback!

Latest posts