Setting temperature of chiller and heater

Hi guys. Newbie question.

JBJ heater and chiller.

Both have a cycle of +/- 1 F.

I want my tank to be 77 F.

What temperature should I set the heater and the chiller so they are not constantly fighting each other and I get close to my desired temperature?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joseserrano

2020 Contributor
A degree apart. heater 76, chiller 77. This will be easier/more exact if you are using a controller that is going off the same temp prob.

A degree apart. heater 76, chiller 77. This will be easier/more exact if you are using a controller that is going off the same temp prob.
The cycle of the heater and chiller is +/- 1. I think this setting will cause them to fight.

I called and they recommended the following if I want to keep temperature at 77 F.

Chiller is set to 78. Because of of +/- 1, when it hits 79, it will cool to 77.
Heater is set to 76. Because of of +/- 1, when it hits 75, it will heat to 77.

five.five-six

2020 Philanthropist
+1 on controller. Keeps your heater/chiller from fighting and when they fight, it costs you money in the form of electricity.

That is what I have done. No controller needed if you want to keep it simple and effective.
The cycle of the heater and chiller is +/- 1. I think this setting will cause them to fight.

I called and they recommended the following if I want to keep temperature at 77 F.

Chiller is set to 78. Because of of +/- 1, when it hits 79, it will cool to 77.
Heater is set to 76. Because of of +/- 1, when it hits 75, it will heat to 77.

I just bought the Apex. I can have the Apex shut the output in case temperature hits X degrees.

I want to be careful not to shut if off at the wrong time in case the chiller is cooling down after the compressor stops.

I just bought the Apex. I can have the Apex shut the output in case temperature hits X degrees.

I want to be careful not to shut if off at the wrong time in case the chiller is cooling down after the compressor stops.

Great, that's what you want to do. Too many tanks get fried when heaters get stuck on and there are no safety protocols in place.

My tank has a 3 degree fluctuation throughout the day with 77 on the low end and 80 on the high end peaking during the afternoon. Upon much research, many of the aquarists I respect have the opinion that some fluctuations is healthy for corals and will allow them to better survive changes as opposed to corals used to a very tight environment.

I really don't really use a heater due to how hot the weather has been. If you can purchase a tempature controller.

reefking

Have you tried just using a simple fan from Home Depot in lieu of a chiller. I haven't run a chiller in years and years. You do need a decent ATO system though.

Have you tried just using a simple fan from Home Depot in lieu of a chiller. I haven't run a chiller in years and years. You do need a decent ATO system though.
The chiller has worked out well so far. I was able to set it up properly.

Latest posts