Window algae culture

I am going to start culturing my own phytoplankton. I have read a bunch about how to start a culture with light fixtures. And it's about 18 hours of light. With natural sunlight how much sun does the algae culture need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only done inside with leds but want to start using sunlight since I'm moved back to LA

what LED are you using? I was thinking of using sunlight but afraid it may get too hot.
Current USA satellite LED plus flexible strip
That's what I'm thinking but at the same time summer is ending so it won't be too bad.

xoshagsox

I was wondering how your sunlit phyto culture was going. Thinking of starting one soon so I want to work out the logistics.

I was wondering how your sunlit phyto culture was going. Thinking of starting one soon so I want to work out the logistics.
Grew faster than can use so I am using a 5g bucket with a bulb. It grows slower indoor. I was using gallon glass apple juice from wholefoods but it was growing faster than I can use.

Hey everyone. I have been maintaining about 8 strains of Phyto. I use to feed my two types of rotifers and Tigger Pods. If anyone has questions I can answer, please feel free. I would like to trade strains with anyone. So what strains of Phyto are you guys culturing?

I grow indoors and outdoors. Outdoors is hard to control temp and can over heat or get too cold. Inside I grow from a compact fluorescent. For some reason fluorescent works better. The book the Plankton culture manual. Its very extensive. A lot of footnotes and references. Its considered the Bible for those who wish to deal with every kind of microfauna.

I am going to start culturing my own phytoplankton. I have read a bunch about how to start a culture with light fixtures. And it's about 18 hours of light. With natural sunlight how much sun does the algae culture need?

How did your cultures turn out? This thread is still alive!

Hey everyone. I have been maintaining about 8 strains of Phyto. I use to feed my two types of rotifers and Tigger Pods. If anyone has questions I can answer, please feel free. I would like to trade strains with anyone. So what strains of Phyto are you guys culturing?

Thats impressive, maybe Ill hit you up to buy a starter culture when I start it back up.

How did your cultures turn out? This thread is still alive!

The cultures turned out too well. I couldnt keep up with the dosing at first they consumed and crashed really fast with the sun. So I didnt have any issue with temp fluctuations since they were inside with ac yet receiving the full spectrum of Light. I would reach capacity every three days before they crashed on two liter bottles. So I need to split every three days. Weirdly plant fertilizer grew the phyto exponential faster. If I remember correctly 3x I cant reveal much more of why since I am under contract. But let just say F/2 works better.

Latest posts