Noisy Drain Help.

ok so just filled the Tank and them the Drain is noisy down at the Sump area making bubbles noises everywhere, So mu original plans was to run all 45S no 90s but the union made it that if i used a 45 it would hit the sump so i used the 90. I believe its the 90 causing the noise. So im debating removing the union from the top by the bulkhead and just putting a screw on 45 down to another 45 with a gate valve in between. or should i just add a gate valve to the straight pipe after the 90 ??

Sump.jpg

Tangwich

2020 Philanthropist
gate valve on the straight pipe next positioned next to the baffle. You might have to extend the pipe a bit more to lessen the water rushing sound.

Has any one done a reverse Dorso method i was reading that might help, i really dont want to put any valves as i dont have a 2nd drain so in case any snails go in there.

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
def need a gate valve, convert the return to emergency and bring return over the back. also add a screen cap on the drain to prevent snails going in
how high or low is the drain inside the overflow?

the screen cap will get clogged with nori and be worst. i think im going to try and make a cover for the overflow and also the reverse dorso method for now and see how that works

This is where the valves I was talking about come in. I run just a straight pipe for my drain. The teeth for my overflow touch the top of my tank. Nothing can get in there. If a snail or something can fit between teeth, it'll fit through valve to sump. Look up Oatey PVC drain cap. Put that on your stand pipe or use a cap with 1/2" or bigger holes drilled in it. You'll have to shorten the standpipe three or four inches. Then use the valve to close off drain until it's submerged and only water is going down and no air. You may or may not need a valve on return. Again I add them to both of mine. Anyway. My return is wide open, Rio 2700 with 1/2" pipe. My drain is 1" and the valve is only partially closed to bring water above standpipe with no vortex to suck air. Flex pipe under water in sump. They call this a Herbie, Bean Animal is a spin off of this. Dead silent.

This is where the valves I was talking about come in. I run just a straight pipe for my drain. The teeth for my overflow touch the top of my tank. Nothing can get in there. If a snail or something can fit between teeth, it'll fit through valve to sump. Look up Oatey PVC drain cap. Put that on your stand pipe or use a cap with 1/2" or bigger holes drilled in it. You'll have to shorten the standpipe three or four inches. Then use the valve to close off drain until it's submerged and only water is going down and no air. You may or may not need a valve on return. Again I add them to both of mine. Anyway. My return is wide open, Rio 2700 with 1/2" pipe. My drain is 1" and the valve is only partially closed to bring water above standpipe with no vortex to suck air. Flex pipe under water in sump. They call this a Herbie, Bean Animal is a spin off of this. Dead silent.
oh you using flex pipe for drain that right there makes it pretty silent, im only running a rio hf 17 on here now going to eventually get a vectra m1 but for now its fine going to ad maybe 2 mp40qds. or to mp10s not sure yet.

Latest posts