Noisy Drain Help.

OK so i got the noise in the Sump to lessen by reducing the amount the drain pipe goes under the water but now the gurgle noise up top by the hole is bugging me.

So i was reading that when using a dorso stand pipe the pipe should be up sized and then redused to the bulhead. Maybe thats y issue ??? since i used 1 inch on 1 inch bulkhead i should have gone 1 1/4 reduced to 1 inch to bulkhead

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
I don't run an emergency drain. No need if you know nothing will completely stop flow. If link doesn't work. Just type gmac herbie which is a total explanation of it.. I've been using this type of drain since this Herbie guy came up with it. I got into reefing about that time. Only type I've ever used and will.

http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/
If you don't have an emergency drain, is that still considered a Herbie.?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I call it a Herbie. It's the overflow. The emergency is a spare. That's just a pipe waiting to be used. If it never gets used its useless. Or usedless. Whatever.
I thought the Herbie was the "syphoning" part of the overflow since everything is underwater and the return was actually drawing the water from the display rather than it overflowing into a pipe leading to the sump. At least that's what I remember it supposedly doing.
I started with a Durso type at first but I couldn't handle the noise. Even with the airline trick that does help but still was noisy to me. Also the bubbles from the drain would create a mess of salt creep. Everything being underwater there is no noise and no salt creep to deal with. I remember being happy about stumbling onto this guy back then and have used it ever since. I'll call it the scallywag.

well i upsized the pipe in the overflow and that helped a bit but not completly stoping the noise so after trying reverse dorso and all that i ended up adding a **** ball valve, was looking for a gate valve but they did not have any. ither way this finally helped and the noise level is now manageble

This is a whole lot more work than it needs to be. Just run a line of silicone tubing through the pipe as an air stream, that will do 90% of the suppression. For the rest of the 20% add baffling in the form of 3/4 pipe on top of the 1/2 and then 1inh on top of that. It will fit and it will work.

Sent from my 1+3t

This is a whole lot more work than it needs to be. Just run a line of silicone tubing through the pipe as an air stream, that will do 90% of the suppression. For the rest of the 20% add baffling in the form of 3/4 pipe on top of the 1/2 and then 1inh on top of that. It will fit and it will work.

Sent from my 1+3t
its already resolved with the ball valve.

Thanks do.

The thing that always worked for me is just doing a dorso and i put a hole on top and a tube that I can adjust up and down in the hole, that you drill out.