Quick Radion Question

five.five-six

2020 Philanthropist
I always thought the other way, the pro aren't worth it. I guess if you like screwing with your color every week the pro would be better.

The Pro has UV spectrum and additional light channels and controls. Not a huge premium for additional benefits. If I were going to spend That kind of money ,then I would spend a lil extra and get all the benefits. Otherwise you might as well look for less expensive options. I got lucky and won a pro at a show and I bought a matching one and upgraded my lights. I went from a Reefbreeders V2 to the new xr30 pros. I really like them but I doubt I would have ever ponied up that much money for lights otherwise. They have plenty of power and lots of cool features built in to them. They are obviously pricey and I do not like the fact that they are not factory ready for wifi without spending more money on the Reeflink. Other then that they are very sweet.

five.five-six

2020 Philanthropist
From what I've read, the plastic lenses used on LED will be destroyed with any real amount of UV light in a very short time. If you want you be you really should be using metal halide or T5

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
So will the regular XR30s grow corals? R is it that no one have them they just forked out $$$$ 4 the PROs
What coral are you thinking about keeping? The xr30 gen whatever will grow and keep coral alive, all types. Find old threads and people have been having success since they came out, and not just with radion but with early kessils, AI sols ect, chinese led boxes.

When you get into the newer xr30s and pros, hydra 52 hds, kessil ap700 price point you are paying for control- spectrum & output -spread of par/pur). These lights are geared more towards sps/mixed reefs, not just keeping them alive and growing but trying to provide the best overall spectrum of light to pull every last bit of color, growth/health out of sps corals.

I'm looking forward to seeing if people still need to supplement the g4pros with t5 lighting to get all they can out of sps coral. If that turns out to be the case then might as well buy the regular xr30 and get your UV from the supplemental t5.

JDEllis

Owner @ Ellis Aquatics
Supporter
The non pro is not very popular. Over the past 5+ years we have only sold 2 NON pro radions since Gen2 came out, as compared to the 100+ pro models that sold in the same amount of time. Not saying the non pro is not a good light by any means, because they are awesome. I just think most people willing to go to a premium brand LED just go to the Pro model for the small additional cost.

I think the reason most supplement is because of shadowing effect that comes from trying to put less lights on a tank. Yes you can get away with 2 on a 4' tank, and the shadowing will go away much cheaper with a couple T5 strips than adding more radions.

With that said I just went all in on Radions, I have several friends with Radion only SPS tanks and their colors are insane. I have 2 XR15 pros on my frag tank and 2 xr 30 pros on my coral quarantine. I am building another mount for the 400 that will hold 10 gen4 pros in 2 rows of 5 each. I have the lights in aclimation mode running the coral lab a b program at 65% on a 50% over 4 week aclimation. The lights are unbelievable how much par they have at such a low setting.

I love the Reeflink and would not run the lights without. Easy to adjust and by matching par on startup my corals are looking great 2 weeks in. I wish I was not so busy so I could get them going on big tank.

Also big plus is their mounting solutions, this lighting is by far the best system I have ever worked with and the only option I would even consider on a SPS tank.

I was running T5 with Reefbrites on both the tanks I have Radions on now and the shimmer is welcome and the overall pop has improved.

Awesome lights! Yes they grow SPS without help.

Here's my situation. I want to have a mixed reef tank, my tank is 48x30 x20 and i don't think 2 XRpro 30s will be enough lighting. I saw the BRS light video on the Radions and Kessil and I'm not sure. Now I'm thinking splitting my tank into 4 meaning 4 24x15 section and running 2 t5s down the middle and putting a xr15 in each 24x15 area hope understand.

In many cases I agree that splitting a XR30 dual puck into 2 XR15's is much better do to spread. I have 2 XR15''s on a 32" x 26" frag tank that is 12" deep and they are putting off more light that a 6 bulb 24" powermodule with Reefbrite strip. With 6 XR15s you could get away without the T5 and have a cleaner look, never having to worry about bulb change, but a 3rd more cost. If you buy the multi rail kit you could start with 4 and see if you want to add a 3rd row in future.

In many cases I agree that splitting a XR30 dual puck into 2 XR15's is much better do to spread. I have 2 XR15''s on a 32" x 26" frag tank that is 12" deep and they are putting off more light that a 6 bulb 24" powermodule with Reefbrite strip. With 6 XR15s you could get away without the T5 and have a cleaner look, never having to worry about bulb change, but a 3rd more cost. If you buy the multi rail kit you could start with 4 and see if you want to add a 3rd row in future.
Yeah 6 XR15's could work. However, I still may 2 48" t5's to go with them for better spread

6 XR15's will be the same price as 3 XR30 pros but they can be placed as needed, that's what I like. That being said each light will cover a 16x10 area.:a26::a26: