Leveling steel stand.

Got a new steel stand with leveling feet.
My floor is not level. Seems to slope back to front and right to left. 3 questions.

I have a 6 inch level and a 48 inch level. The 48 inch level is too long because it hits the back wall. Can i use the 6 inch level even though it doesn't span the 24inches front to back of the stand and possibly give me an incorrect reading?

Does the bubble have to be centered directly in the middle or can it drift a little bit stay but stay within the lines.

Some of the leveling feet are extended pretty far. Each foot is rated for 5000lbs and there are 6. How far can the feet be extended so it doesn't snap or am I worrying for no reason.

Thanks in Advanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
Bubble Should be in the middle and not touching the lines.level one side at a time, left to right then front to back.
Start with all legs all the way screwed in, then extend as needed.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Use a crescent (style) adjustable wrench on the nut above the foot. Keep your eye on the level while someone else adjusts.

Level is level is level, and if you have the capabilities to do so, then do it. You do not want to compromise a tank the Larger it gets, especially the taller it is. Vertical pressures build significantly the taller they get, and the further the point of increased pressure from a point of less pressure compromised the integrity of all seals and seams.

Crib notes: just do it right, and you'll never have to do it again.

Moderator - can you please delete. new to forums and cant figure out how to delete.

Bubble Should be in the middle and not touching the lines.level one side at a time, left to right then front to back.

Ok cool. Is there a point where I've extended too far like for example half the length of the bolt?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk[/

Moderator - can you please delete. new to forums and cant figure out how to delete.

Ok cool. Is there a point where I've extended too far like for example half the length of the bolt?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Use a crescent (style) adjustable wrench on the nut above the foot. Keep your eye on the level while someone else adjusts.

Level is level is level, and if you have the capabilities to do so, then do it. You do not want to compromise a tank the Larger it gets, especially the taller it is. Vertical pressures build significantly the taller they get, and the further the point of increased pressure from a point of less pressure compromised the integrity of all seals and seams.

Crib notes: just do it right, and you'll never have to do it again.
Got it. ill give it another go in the morning.

Don't adjust it anymore than you need to. The threads and the housing carry the weight regardless of their height, so just don't extend them all the way to a point where they are no longer threaded.

reefking

Don't adjust it anymore than you need to. The threads and the housing carry the weight regardless of their height, so just don't extend them all the way to a point where they are no longer threaded.
...until the rust kicks in and the threads rip off. I've never been a fan of steel stands.

reefking

Got a new steel stand with leveling feet.
My floor is not level. Seems to slope back to front and right to left. 3 questions.

I have a 6 inch level and a 48 inch level. The 48 inch level is too long because it hits the back wall. Can i use the 6 inch level even though it doesn't span the 24inches front to back of the stand and possibly give me an incorrect reading?

Does the bubble have to be centered directly in the middle or can it drift a little bit stay but stay within the lines.

Some of the leveling feet are extended pretty far. Each foot is rated for 5000lbs and there are 6. How far can the feet be extended so it doesn't snap or am I worrying for no reason.

Thanks in Advanced.

why can't you use the 48" level front to back? Who cares if it hangs over. It'll be a lot more accurate then a 6" smack in the middle. also, are you throwing a sheet of plywood on top of the stand or just putting the tank right on it?

why can't you use the 48" level front to back? Who cares if it hangs over. It'll be a lot more accurate then a 6" smack in the middle. also, are you throwing a sheet of plywood on top of the stand or just putting the tank right on it?
I wasn't sure if I could use the 48 inch level if it's hanging over but sounds like I can. I'm putting plywood underneath.

reefking

Once you get it all level I would put wood shims under the stand close to the legs so that you take all the strain off the bolts. It's also another safety measure. That's just me though.

Once you get it all level I would put wood shims under the stand close to the legs so that you take all the strain off the bolts. It's also another safety measure. That's just me though.
This.

Use the legs as a guide, but redundancies are always key to successful anything.

Latest posts