Custom Glass Top Lid - 12 gal long

Atticus27

Hi everyone, I have a Mr.Aqua 12 long and I'm looking into getting a lid for it for evaporation and preventing fishes from jumping out,
unfortunately, I'm not sure where to start.. should I go to a local Lowes/Homedepot to buy a pane of glass and have them cut it OR go to an online aquarium store like glass cages? Also, what thickness do you suggest? Thanks!

Speaker73

Premium Member
Supporter
I would go to a local glass store (google your area) and have them cut tempered glass to your specifications. 1/4" thickness is fine. Call and get a few quotes before you buy. The prices can range quite a bit.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

For small tank, I would suggest having the ATO setup (auto top off) when water evaporates. That helps to keep your tank stable. For preventing fish jumping out, you can go to HD/Lowes to buy windown screen and frames to make one. Light and cheap and not blocking the light.

Trung

+1 on the local glass store. I have both glass top and mesh screen (not used simultaneously) on a Nuvo 20. Works well for my needs. I have a hydra 26 hd lighting the tank at around 50% intensity. If light capacity is an issue, stick with the mesh screen as Trung suggested. I also thought of getting a plexi glass cut to shape by a local acrylic store, might be worth investigating.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
I suggest getting a piece of acrylic cut instead of regular glass. That's a long piece of glass and I'd be scared of how fragile it would be from constantly moving it for feeding, cleaning, etc. artfully acrylic makes custom tops but won't be cheap.

lynncgo

beware that acrylic will bow! I had 3 pieces of 3/8" acrylic and I have to flip them over weekly because they will start bowing. I changed over to 3 pieces of glass instead and it works great. I also recommend glass or mesh screen.

Yes from my experience acrylic less than 1/2" will bow... Theres plenty of glass shops around socal, should be an easy job for them

I would go to a local glass store (google your area) and have them cut tempered glass to your specifications. 1/4" thickness is fine. Call and get a few quotes before you buy. The prices can range quite a bit.

You can't cut tempered glass.

I would go the Home Depot option and cut it myself, particularly since it is such a small tank. Just use emory cloth backed with a wood block to take the edges off after you cut the panes so you don't cut yourself. 1/8" (.125") is plenty thick. Standard "window pane" glass is more like .09".

Speaker73

Premium Member
Supporter
You can't cut tempered glass.

I would go the Home Depot option and cut it myself, particularly since it is such a small tank. Just use emory cloth backed with a wood block to take the edges off after you cut the panes so you don't cut yourself. 1/8" (.125") is plenty thick. Standard "window pane" glass is more like .09".
My bad. You are correct.

My bad. You are correct.

A lot of people don't understand what tempered glass is.

When you temper a pane of glass, you are basically baking it. You heat it to a certain temperature for a certain amount of time, and then cool it slowly. What happens is the crystal structure rearranges itself so that the pane of glass becomes a single lattice structure. It is much stronger than standard glass, but when the panel fails, instead of cracking, the entire panel fails chatostrophically - it shatters into many small pieces (most of which are cubical instead of sharp and pointy). Tempered glass is used in many safety applications - particularly areas like car windows.

For aquariums, tempered glass panels allow you to build an aquarium with thinner glass. However because the tempering process is only afforable with large production runs, the glass panels are usually only available in limited sizes. Custom aquariums are almost always made with standard glass. Drilled tanks are always made with standard glass - even if it happens to be low iron glass like Starfire (or other brand names).

It should be noted that even though you can't drill tempered glass, you can drill standard glass... and then temper it. I am not aware of anyone who does this, but it can be done.

Speaker73

Premium Member
Supporter
A lot of people don't understand what tempered glass is.

When you temper a pane of glass, you are basically baking it. You heat it to a certain temperature for a certain amount of time, and then cool it slowly. What happens is the crystal structure rearranges itself so that the pane of glass becomes a single lattice structure. It is much stronger than standard glass, but when the panel fails, instead of cracking, the entire panel fails chatostrophically - it shatters into many small pieces (most of which are cubical instead of sharp and pointy). Tempered glass is used in many safety applications - particularly areas like car windows.

For aquariums, tempered glass panels allow you to build an aquarium with thinner glass. However because the tempering process is only afforable with large production runs, the glass panels are usually only available in limited sizes. Custom aquariums are almost always made with standard glass. Drilled tanks are always made with standard glass - even if it happens to be low iron glass like Starfire (or other brand names).

It should be noted that even though you can't drill tempered glass, you can drill standard glass... and then temper it. I am not aware of anyone who does this, but it can be done.
I think my glass place cuts the glass then tempers it. It adds to the price of course.

I think my glass place cuts the glass then tempers it. It adds to the price of course.

There are many commercial applications that need custom glass panels tempered by code - windows and shower enclosures being two. I just happen to be having a custom glass shower door / enclosure being made for one of our bathrooms and they need to come out, measure the job, get the glass cut and tempered, and then return to install it.

Don't know about places that will drill holes in glass, and then temper, however. Given enough money I'm sure someone will do it :)

Latest posts