When to throw out bta

So one of my nems decided to start to die off on me, and was wondering at what point should i just accept a loss and toss it out. I definitely don't want to nuke my tank, but i want to save him if i can. He's currently on my hob refugium with some rubble rock. His mouth is open and he detached from the rocks he was on before. Is there a chance to save him, or do i flush him before he kills my fish? Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't look like it's dying out. It might be just trying to split, I.e. They literally tear themselves in half by walking in 2 different directions

Hes shrunk and lost color so I separated him to be safe. It kinda scared my his foot isn't attached so thats why I would think that.

I think it might be unhappy or trying to split but doesn't look like it is dying at least not from what I see. I once cooked two anemones in a 5 gallon bucket, I think the temp went up to 94 degrees, one of those actually survived. Another one just shrunk and started spewing out black tar chunks (zooxs ) that one I threw away after a few days. But another one looked like yours and eventually came back.

Hes shrunk and lost color so I separated him to be safe. It kinda scared my his foot isn't attached so thats why I would think that.

I think it might be unhappy or trying to split but doesn't look like it is dying at least not from what I see. I once cooked two anemones in a 5 gallon bucket, I think the temp went up to 94 degrees, one of those actually survived. Another one just shrunk and started spewing out black tar chunks (zooxs ) that one I threw away after a few days. But another one looked like yours and eventually came back.
Edit: that foot is normal? That's how anemones walk, their foot swells up and they move. When their foot is shrunk and it is not attached that's problematic

Awesome maybe he'll bounce back then. Thanks for the advice. Should i put him back in the dt so he gets happier?

Keep him in a fuge if you don't want it to walk in to the powerhead or if it actually starts dying then it is easier to take out. Just keep those rocks in there so it can attach .

reefking

usually when the foot doesn't stick to anything it's a clear indication of the death spiral. Or, if the mouth stays open at a certain size and doesn't deviate from that.

Wankel

Supporter
I had a bta commit suicide on me in an MP10 before and it didn't nuke my tank, if you have a good cleanup crew you would never know it even left. I think you're being way too paranoid, just leave it be.

bsakado

You BTA looks fine, the more you keep picking it up, the more pissed off it will be/look. Be concerned if the mouth gets really big and starts expelling its guts. i mean if it dies all you have to do is siphon it out and do a water change. I mean if it gets into a powerhead and just clouds the whole tank thats when you should freak out haha. Just leave it alone and let it do its own thing for now.