Sump turnover rate

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
watched Sanjay Joshi's video on the youtubes recently and He and Jake Adams were talking about turn over volume in the sump. I believe Sanjay was between 4-5 times his tank volume. Wanted to know everyone's school of thought on how many times their tank volume do you flow per hour. Especially with the Triton method hitting the scene and requiring more than 10 times tank volume circulation. Me I'm about 6 times turn over for my 150g as I think too much turnover doesn't allow efficient contact time with the skimmer. What's everyone else's thoughts and turnover rates? Let's keep this solely on turnover to the sump and not in tank flow rates as that's a different topic.

I've changed my mind a gazillion times, but I'm going with a Red Dragon Speedy 230... aprox 5200 gph, but it will run my whole tank. But my guess is I will be around 6 times. I didn't plan the system based on that. 10 times is a lot in my opinion. Why does Triton say that is necessary? Or do they have data to back that up? Given that there are beautiful tanks with varying turnover rates, I don't think any one number is best.... obviously you don't want to be way on the low or high end though.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Good question as to why triton method requires 10+. I have no idea as to why. Maybe someone planning on the Triton method can answer that?

i've always liked a slower turnover... protein skimmers pull out more gunk that way... but, carbon and other stuff doesn't work as well, and you'll need media tumblers and what not... and more circulation pumps up top... meh... i'm planning on using a 350GPH pump to run my 90g soon...

five.five-six

2020 Philanthropist
IMO, it has more to do with what the sump will handle. To figure this out, fill the tank and shut down the power, empty the overflow box and fill the sump to about an inch below the top, no less than 1/2 inch. Plug your skimmer and return pump in and let it run for a few minutes. Check the level of water in the sumps pump chamber and mark that with a magic marker. That is the highest level your sump should ever be with the power on.

If that level is to low, then you need less flow. If it's to high, then you need more flow.

joseserrano

2020 Contributor
I think in that video Mike P said he does slower turnover, because he gets more contact time and because for flow he rather use internal circulation pumps that use less energy then pumping water X amount of feet up. Another thing to think about is what Greg C said when the Neptune flow sensors came out, we will be surprised how much turnover we are actually putting through out tanks.

[MENTION=4931]reefes pieces[/MENTION] is finally wet? I thought your build is going to take as long as [MENTION=3628]BeanMachine[/MENTION]

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Haha almost did. Still taking everything slowly and let the tank mature before I go crazy throwing stuff in
[MENTION=4931]reefes pieces[/MENTION] is finally wet? I thought your build is going to take as long as [MENTION=3628]BeanMachine[/MENTION]

ive always ran a slow turnover ,but i run a tunze in sump to keep stuff from settle in bottom of sump.

Last edited:

Latest posts