Get ready for the Big One....Fasten your tank.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
well hope it ain't around the corner. I know this discussion has happened before about tanks and earthquakes. I don't think I'll be strapping it down or anchoring it to a wall. Something tells me the tank and the wall will lose that tug o war. But serious note, I should look at strapping down my book shelves.

it's just like them doomsday people... every year september 23rd is the end of the earth... and everyone gets all scared and chet... just ignore them... wait for the next solar flare to hit earth, and then we'll know when the next 8.0 earthquake will hit...

What is the benifit of strapping your stand when the tank isnt attached? Wouldnt that cause more pressure on the glass?

If the big earthquake hits your tank is done at that point you be more concern about other things other than your tank if your house catches on fire or water pipe burst. Unless your tank is a pond then your chances of no damage probably be greater. Also if your tank is acrylic probably be better than glass.

It's so the stand doesn't fall over when the tank goes flying across the room.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Eh, personally I would want my tank and stand to flex together during an earthquake. A quake so large that a tank would "fly" off a stand... we'd have much larger problems to deal with.

Eh, personally I would want my tank and stand to flex together during an earthquake. A quake so large that a tank would "fly" off a stand... we'd have much larger problems to deal with.
Exactly. If the stand is bolted to the wall it's going to move with the wall. So unless the stand is affixed to the aquarium itself all it's going to do is shake the aquarium off the stand.

Exactly. If the stand is bolted to the wall it's going to move with the wall. So unless the stand is affixed to the aquarium itself all it's going to do is shake the aquarium off the stand.

Aaaahhh. I reread what you posted... now I see what your saying. Still don't see the point at all and that it would do more harm than good.

i remember seeing a video in japan... a 100g or whatever they call it over there... a 100 kilogram aquarium moved over stand and all... about 5 inches to one side... the tank survived... but they said that the earthquake was a huge shift, and then some wave action... if the "stand" was strapped down,the tank would've gone flying...

so i get what cody is saying... and i agree... i rather have it shift over and wiggle as one solid piece....