Help Dialing in Drip and Bubble Rates on a Calcium Reactor

So I hear a lot of 1 bubble and 1 drip per second for the CO2 and effluent but it seems like it's impossible to keep it at that rate. Every 12 hours, when I check, the rate has significantly dropped off. What's the secret to maintaining rates? I'm thinking I should go higher.

More info. What have you done so far in setting up the reactor? What equipment and what are you using to control the gas and affluent rate as well as the the input of saltwater into the reactor and out. Stuff like that. How long have you been running it and did you open the second stage to at least 15lbs pressure?

It's a Reef Octopus dual chamber reactor and it was pretty much set up when I got it. It's controlled by a Milwaukee PH SMS122 controller and has a Reef Fanatic gauge and some sort of CO2 solenoid (could be same brand, I don't know). I use the small knob on the right to adjust bubbles in the bubble counter.

gauge.jpg

I added a mur-lok shut-off valve to the effluent line, which I have been trying to manually loosen and tighten to get the 1 drop a minute.

drip.jpg

The input into the reactor is a maxijet (1200, I think?)

2017-09-22_10-07-26_000.jpg

I hooked it all up three days ago.

Your equipment is fine, the PH controller is a little out of date but ok. Is your Co2 leaking any gas? Your drip rate should not change much unless there is leaking somewhere in the line from the Co2 bottle on down the circuit. Have you tried checking for leaks with soapy water? I have 3 calcium reactors in use. Each time I set one up I ran it with just the gas into a jar of water to make sure there were no leaks before I went 'live' with it. On older bottles the valve has to be open completely to work or it will leak. I have no idea how old yours is or its condition but that was the problem I had with my first Co2 bottle. I also suggest you look for the manuals for the Geo reactors, I know that's not your make of reactor but the instructions are very clear and concise. Good luck.

Seems like you should get a better regulator. The dyi ones talked about on another forum are so much better than anything mass produced for "aquriums"

Your rate of drip should be determined by the amount of water pressure at your sourch pump. Catch some of the drip and measure the ph,ca2 and Mag. I find it best to start with the PH in the reactor @ 7.0 that way you can see any leaks and also check your drip rate without any harm. A ph of 7.0 is neutral and won't melt the media. If you find it is melting at 7.0 then your PH probe needs to be re-calibrated. The one thing that will determine your effluent rate drip is how much pressure is pushing it from your pump. You may have a clog that builds up and of course slows down the flow. Remember that 1 bubble and 1 drip are not for the same source. The bubble is to measure Co2 quantity and 1 drip is a measure of effluent flow.
So I hear a lot of 1 bubble and 1 drip per second for the CO2 and effluent but it seems like it's impossible to keep it at that rate. Every 12 hours, when I check, the rate has significantly dropped off. What's the secret to maintaining rates? I'm thinking I should go higher.

I had the same thought UNTIL I got a Tunze co2 regulator 7077/3. I have 2 custom regulators that are great and will measure down to a partial bubble. For the cost the Tunze co2 regulator 7077/3 can't be beat for simplicity and accuracy.
Seems like you should get a better regulator. The dyi ones talked about on another forum are so much better than anything mass produced for "aquriums"

YIs your Co2 leaking any gas? Have you tried checking for leaks with soapy water? I also suggest you look for the manuals for the Geo reactors, I know that's not your make of reactor but the instructions are very clear and concise. Good luck.
I will check these out. Thanks!

Your rate of drip should be determined by the amount of water pressure at your sourch pump. The one thing that will determine your effluent rate drip is how much pressure is pushing it from your pump. You may have a clog that builds up and of course slows down the flow.
There's a lot of pressure from the maxijet, if I open up the valve or remove it, the water shoots out.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
I will check these out. Thanks!

There's a lot of pressure from the maxijet, if I open up the valve or remove it, the water shoots out.
Eric are you controlling your drip rate before or after the reactor? If before, move it to the end of you tubing. I usually set mine up that way and I seemed to get less clogging, adds a little back pressure. If you have a very slow drip rate, and were running your pH low, around 6.5, then it's possible your clogging your line with media that isn't completely broken down.

I had the best success with a high flow rate. Way past counting drips. I'd set it to a point where drips would barley form before hitting the water of my sump a few inches below the outlet. I would then set my pH high. Start off in the 7.2 range and work your way down. Until you stabilize your alk. The key word is stabilize, that's the goal of the reactor. Most people's first mistake with the CaRx is trying to adjust levels with it. That leads to disaster.

Usually people maintaining low drip rates with lower pH rates seem to have high end pumps feeding their reactors that can maintain a constant pressure.

Eric are you controlling your drip rate before or after the reactor? If before, move it to the end of you tubing.

Until you stabilize your alk. The key word is stabilize, that's the goal of the reactor.
I'm only using the valve at the end here to control flow, after the reactor:

I added a mur-lok shut-off valve to the effluent line, which I have been trying to manually loosen and tighten to get the 1 drop a minute.

View attachment 58710
I do have a valve before the reactor. Are you saying I should close that some, so the flow is light through the reactor?

Does Alk drop at first? It's low now (6.5). Cal is at 498 currently.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
I'm only using the valve at the end here to control flow, after the reactor:

I do have a valve before the reactor. Are you saying I should close that some, so the flow is light through the reactor?

Does Alk drop at first? It's low now (6.5). Cal is at 498 currently.

When using a CaRx, Alk and Ca are dosed at an equal rate meaning if Alk goes up, CA goes up as well and vice versa. You can't individually control the alk or ca. What was your alk when you started?

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
I don't know. So, if I dose up the alk, it should stay level?
Assuming that you have your CaRx setup to keep up with your demands, yes it should stay at that level.

So take note of what the output pressure from the regulator, bpm, and how many mls/minute of the effluent. I usually measure alk because you'll notice more of a change with alk and you will with CA. If your CaRx isn't keeping up with your alk demands, you can increase the output pressure of the regulator (making bigger bubble therefore injecting more co2) or increase the bpm (if you increase the bpm, you'll have to increase the mls/minute so that your solenoid isn't constantly turning on/off) or increase the mls/minute of the effluent(if you increase the mls/minute, you'll have to increase the bpm or output pressure to keep the ph down in the reactor).

If your reactor is keeping up with the demand (meaning your alk hasn't change over a few days) and your alk is still lower than your desired range, dose and alk supplement to get alk within your desired range.

BTW, what type of media are you using?

Last edited:
Well, it's ARM in one chamber. idk what's in the main. I had thought it was ARM but it might be/looks different. I think I know what your getting at because they melt at different ph levels, right?

I'll research and get back to you.

Latest posts