Registered Member
    Name
    Nikki
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Flower pot coral growth?

I'm just wondering how the flower pot coral grows? I've had mine for about six months and it looks the same as the day I got it. I looked online and the information seems pretty sparse. Most people say its hard to keep alive and others say they have had theirs for years. I'm curious to know how they grow. I have mine sitting in the sand bed on the front of the tank. One of my clown fish and blenny are always laying on the flower pot too. Is that maybe hindering some growth? The clown isn't hosting it, she just likes to take a break and lay on it as she swims by.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Registered Member
    Name
    coweyes209
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is yours like a ball after they closed? I noticed if it is a ball shape their growth rate will be on a slow side. I have kept several of the green/white/neon gonipora before but several months later they were all got brown jelly decease and died. They are super prone to brown jelly decease. I had another pink on in my frag tank for a 2 months now, which is like a flat surface after they closed. Haven't seen any growth for this one yet...

3. Thanks kitstyx28 thanked for this post
    Registered Member
    Name
    Nikki
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coweyes298 View Post
    Is yours like a ball after they closed? I noticed if it is a ball shape their growth rate will be on a slow side. I have kept several of the green/white/neon gonipora before but several months later they were all got brown jelly decease and died. They are super prone to brown jelly decease. I had another pink on in my frag tank for a 2 months now, which is like a flat surface after they closed. Haven't seen any growth for this one yet...
    Yep, mine is ball shaped. I was thinking from the shape that the growth would be small. I'm sorry to hear that yours got brown jelly disease and died. They are a nice coral to have. I love how the fish love this coral.

Registered Member
    Name
    coweyes209
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup. Brown jelly sucks. I cannot have any hammer/frogspawn anymore. All these faded within a month in my frag tank and display tank...QQ

Contributing Member
    Name
    Orbel
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a yellow one for about 1 year and it grew a couple mm not much but polyps grew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered Member
    Name
    Gilbert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm about to attempt to keep one, saw a pink goni frag and will pick up this weekend. I'll be happy if I can keep for a year given the reported short lifespan.

Registered Member
    Name
    Vahanyos
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a neon green goni for about 8 months. I never noticed any growth. Then, after 1 year it started getting gooey and brown mush... i'm getting brown jelly disease like the guy mentioned above me... I threw it out. It was on the sand bed under 4 T5's

Registered Member
    Name
    chip
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It ended up receding and not looking good.

Registered Member
    Name
    Josh
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude I've had a goni for like 8 months and I feel like it hasn't grown at all! I guess that's why some of the nicer have a healthy price tag?

Contributing Member
    Name
    Ev'e
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mine have been groing really slow. it's actually in recovery mode with only a few polys left but its been like that for 6 months.

Registered Member
    Name
    jordan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in my experience, the ones from aus do a bit better long term. i've kept them successfully by feeding them (something like goniopower, reef roids, etc). mine liked to eat a lot. i've also had them die on me without target feeding. i just got one in my new tank, we will see if i can keep it alive and what kind of growth rates i can get.

Thread Information