Experience knowledgeable reefer in OC

I have had reefs for years but would love to hook up with someone to get more detailed in my knowledge. I want to know more than do this and your tank will look great. I want to learn the why. Hope I peek someone

yeah, this forum has a glitch that cuts down huge conversations... but not if you're some annoying spammer putting links to BS football merch from china... LOL..

This is a hobby where everyone is a jack of all trades and master at none. Meaning you'll get a hundred different answers on how to do a water change or what time of day to feed your fish. How a sump has to be set up. Recently how much flow through the sump. Ask about lighting and you can't get a good answer because most change their lights about every couple of months then go and try and buy back the lights they sold eight months ago. Same with skimmers. Most over size their skimmer thinking they'll use it when they upgrade, but when they sell their existing tank to buy their new one they sell the skimmer with it which defeats the purpose of their original plan. Not to mention the lights again that could very easily be used on the new setup. The new reactor media comes out next month whatever that is but be sure that's the next train everyone's going to jump on. So get your ticket now.
I'm goofin and serious at the same time.
Coral placement? Honestly can't be answered unless someone were to see your setup in person and rock work and lights. But I'm sure someone will say I don't know what I'm talking about or at least think it. Placement is trial and error. Take anemones for instance. We put them where we think we want them and where we think they do good at. Next day they're somewhere else. Not always but it happens. More than we like. I've had clams move in my tank and I not like where they went. But I figure they know more than I do so let them be. Some that can't move start to show stress so we stick them in another place we feel they might work. When it comes to coral, lighting, flow and water as you already mention comes into play. On the WWW you can find low flow and high flow tanks with SPS but some will demand they need high flow. And even if the see it on the web they'll deny it. Just like some say not doing monthly water changes will kill a tank off. Sadly this is a hobby where other hobbyist will insist you need to spend a thousand dollars on high end equipment to be successful keeping your 30 gallon tank. Then just happen to have what you need for sale in their garage because they just upgraded to the next best thing. Sort of like iPhone people. Sell their iPhone 7 to get the iPhone 7.5
To me this is a grain of salt hobby. Gather info. Use what you have. Make it work. And when you can. Improve on it. Forget the Jones'.
By the way. Rimless goes out of style in 2018. Stay tuned.

joseserrano

2020 Contributor
I have learned the most from 2 source. The SCMAS club and a lot of its members, and Steve Garrett. I would go time to time and buy 50-100 bucks, and just shoot questions at him for an hour or 2. Regarding what I was buying's care, placement, ... other questions I generally had, and sometimes, can you explain how X, Y, Or Z works and why.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
[MENTION=7562]joseserrano[/MENTION] knows his stuff and is a great resource. He's sorta an ok guy too. lol and +1 on SCMAS. It's a great club with great resources from people that have had tremendous success as well as humility to share their failures which is just as important to share. Are there a million ways to be successful in this hobby? absolutely. But eventually you'll see the common variables by listening and learning from experienced hobbiests.