Do I need Skimmer on 13.5 Gallon Aquarium?

Kessler

Depends on what you're stocking, how much you're feeding, other filtration, and what your maintenance schedule looks like. As long as you're doing weekly WC you're most likely okay without one.

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
Short answer No. small water changes on a tank that size should be fine. And I have never found the micro sized skimmers to be very effective

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. I had a Innovative Marine skimmer on my Nuvo 20 and it didn't skim much and wasn't really stable. It was also super loud. The skimmer cup was tiny, so I'd have to empty it daily and it pulled nothing but lightly tea colored water. Not worth it, in my opinion.

I get really thick scum with the ghost protein skimmer. except now that I am dosing NoPox I am getting lightly colored skim.
to OP you dont really need it even with sps as long as you do your water changes

My ghost skimmer works very well. (10 gallon nuvo fusion) Pulls out thick gunky stuff with a bad smell.

If you have room and the money, might as well. Every little bit helps.

watchguy123

Featured Reef
Skimmers provide two main functions:1) oxygenation 2) removal of organics (DOC)

If you have good surface agitation probably don’t require the additional oxygenation. Carbon in a bag and water changes should deal with organics.

Latest posts