Warning !! Ecotech MP40 rusty magnet !!!

ivan

Featured Reef
Everybody knows how important is to check for rusty magnets on your reeftank,
I been very careful with adding fragrack to my tank that use magnets and for the same reason never buy Chinese sh$@ thinking that paying more you are getting better quality and a piece of mind but I guess I'm wrong !!!!!
And this sucks big time
I will think if a company that charge a good a month of money for a magnet that is going to be on a reeftank and it's made for a reeftank will make a better product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
That sucks. How old is the unit? I had the post of the wetside's prop start to rust, Ecotech sent me a new one next day. Didn't ask for purchase date or anything, just had to ship the old one back. I was happy with the customer service, but it is a bummer a higher end part tends to rust like that.

Any affects in the tank?

joseserrano

2020 Contributor
you see this happening more often with the ecotechs. im sure they will send you out a replacement right away, but that really isnt the ultimate solution. What if you didnt check?

newe70

2020 Philanthropist
I have the same issue. I have my at 45% on reef crest mode and other modes are from 25% - 40%. Surprised to see it cracked and rusted. I'm receiving a replacement tmr.

This is my mp40 quite drive version.

IMG_8920.jpg

ivan

Featured Reef
That sucks. How old is the unit? I had the post of the wetside's prop start to rust, Ecotech sent me a new one next day. Didn't ask for purchase date or anything, just had to ship the old one back. I was happy with the customer service, but it is a bummer a higher end part tends to rust like that.

This one is not too old I just replaced I had it in my closet since i know they always break or get stock and I like to have extras just in case but it does suck that they make this parts of this cheap magnets!

Any affects in the tank?
Hard to said I was having problem with my SPS specially my monties:(

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Well it sucks to have that happen [MENTION=719]ivan[/MENTION], but hopefully finding that will turn your monties around. What are they doing, bleaching? Contact ecotech and see if they'll give you a replacement.

Sorry you are having a problem, it would be nice to know what extras show up on a Triton or ICP test. That way we would know if we saw high ???? To check our Vortechs.

Salt water is a harsh environment, I have had Tunze magnets crack, ecotech mp10 crack, and even had a flipper housing crack and have rust come out. This is why all pumps should be checked regularly especially if you are having a decline. When you have a spinning part with bearings a wear spot on magnet coating will let corrosion in and then it is just a matter of time.

I still think the Vortech is the safest device in a tank because the copper and electrical parts are out of the water. I have spare wet sides and clean them 3 or 4 times a year by switching them out. Great customer service they replaced mine as well.

Glad you found your problem.

That looks like an older wetside? I typically clean mine when they're clogged with algae, so I'm no role model for maintenance. But on the newer ones, you're able to remove the impeller and magnet from the plastic cover to clean it. You can tell early on if there's friction between the magnet and the plastic housing. There's typically gunk stuck between the magnet and plastic housing, but it's easy enough to clean up. But again, this may be a new feature of the newer wet sides. I do have some 6+ year old mp10 wet sides which have not rusted, but gotten noiser over the years. Always worth checking when they get noisy as the magnet may be scraping.