Remember to calibrate Refractor

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
Yes, make sure to calibrate every so often. I did not and when I checked it was off by a lot! My salinity was super high for months...

watchguy123

Featured Reef
Utilizing a standard that is “off” is a problem. I have always assumed that my refractometer solution is accurate. You can check to see after calibrating to 35 ppt whether your ro/di calibrates to near zero. If there is a large discrepancy then you know something is wrong. I believe it was Randy Holmes-Farley that said it was best to calibrate at 35 ppt.

Of course you should also make sure your clean and dry your refractometer with each use. And definitely do not scratch the refractometer glass

joseserrano

2020 Contributor
You still have to calibrate those and even then the electric ones have more issues, I have mine in the box and use a refractometer instead. Less of a headache.
i have had one in the past, and gave it away when i took a break from the hobby. All you needed to calibrate it with was distilled water, which is a 1 a gallon. I just kept it near my testing equipment, and calibrated before use. I also have several buddies who do maintenance and install, along with some wholesaler ppl i know, and they all use these.

I always test my tank water first and then match my mix to it. That way if the meter is off between calibrations I'm at least matching my new mix to the tank. Glad you caught it

Latest posts