Best light cycle for 13.5 Nano Tank?

So I got my tank up and running, I had the light set to run 9 hours daily, but I see algea growing on the glass that I have to scrape off everyday. no really a lot, but enough to make me have to scrub everyday. any advice oh best hours?

How long has it been running? After the ammonia cycle, theyres usually a diatom and/or cyano outbreak that wears off after a month or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
There's an ammonia cycle which everyone is familiar with and when that's done its ok to add livestock. However, the tank undergoes maturity which in itself is a different cycle of it's own. This is what the others are referring to. The tank although can process ammonia still is in the process of seeding other necessary bacteria as well as stabilizing parameters. You will see blooms and even algae outbreaks throughout this process. Also parameters swings as well. This is normal and even with the best husbandry may still occur. Just be patient and you will see as your tank matures, the better it will handle itself and grow corals. Also, hope you mean your nitrate is 5 and not your nitrite because that means you haven't finished a cycle.

There's an ammonia cycle which everyone is familiar with and when that's done its ok to add livestock. However, the tank undergoes maturity which in itself is a different cycle of it's own. This is what the others are referring to. The tank although can process ammonia still is in the process of seeding other necessary bacteria as well as stabilizing parameters. You will see blooms and even algae outbreaks throughout this process. Also parameters swings as well. This is normal and even with the best husbandry may still occur. Just be patient and you will see as your tank matures, the better it will handle itself and grow corals. Also, hope you mean your nitrate is 5 and not your nitrite because that means you haven't finished a cycle.

Yes nitrate is 5. Lol. Thanks for clarifying everything.

Noinoi,

Looks like you have an Evo 12. I had the same for 8 months and no light for the first 4 weeks during cycle - worked for me. It was a great starter tank, solid construction except for the light.