curing rock before starting aquarium inout needed.....

Its been a while since I've started from scratch and I'm just trying to figure out the logistics right now. In terms of curing rock, is it an absolute must to do this before starting my cycle to avoid an algae bloom? Or would y'all think its fine to just have it cure during the cycle? Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

I would cure in the tank and dose NoPox I didn't get algae until I started feeding heavily but only diatoms and lightly.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
It'll probably depend on the condition of the rock too. Acid wash will pull some of the dead matter and phophates from the top layer.

It'll probably depend on the condition of the rock too. Acid wash will pull some of the dead matter and phophates from the top layer.
I was thinking of just going with the artificial rock by Carib Sea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally avoided all that bull and started with brand new dry rock on my last build which i also started from scratch, didn't want to chance bringing in hitchhikers, sponges or any other unwanted crap. Haven't had any horrible algae blooms of any type, not sure if the new rocks had anything to do with that. New rock on every build from here on for me

I personally avoided all that bull and started with brand new dry rock on my last build which i also started from scratch, didn't want to chance bringing in hitchhikers, sponges or any other unwanted crap. Haven't had any horrible algae blooms of any type, not sure if the new rocks had anything to do with that. New rock on every build from here on for me
I totally agree with that, I

For my new build, I cured my live rock outside of my display tank. I wanted the cycle to be minimal in the display tank and I also didn't want to deal with any algae outbreaks. These are the steps I took to cure my rock.

Day 1-3. Soak the live rock in RODI water for a few days.
Day 4 Set a bin up with saltwater, Insert live rock, Set heater for 82F, Add wavemaker, Add rinsed mysis shrimp.
Day 7 Add Fritz Turbo Start to the saltwater bin and let the live rock cure for 2 weeks.

After testing and verifying the live rock went thru its nitrogen cycle, I placed the live rock into my display tank and then added more Fritz Turbo start to the DT.

limal17

Its been a while since I've started from scratch and I'm just trying to figure out the logistics right now. In terms of curing rock, is it an absolute must to do this before starting my cycle to avoid an algae bloom? Or would y'all think its fine to just have it cure during the cycle? Any input would be greatly appreciated!!
I just put all the live rock in a container and put a powerhead and heater and just let it cycle and do water change every 2 weeks until there is no ammonia. but before i put the liverock inside the container is get a brush an scrape the top of the rock to clean it a bit.

we got our dry live rock off other reefers on craigslist. it was mixed, pukani and a little tonga/fuji.

we dipped in 1:8 muratic acid for 15 mins, added a bunch of baking powder to neutralize, and then soaked 1:6 bleach for 10 days, outside. the chlorine went away by then, since it was in the sun... rised in ro/di water, and then aquascaped with it.

as for the acid dip portion, the previously used tonga/fuji was very light to begin with, and became almost too brittle after the acid bath. i think it was used for many years prior... but prolly great for surface area. the pukani got a few more holes, looked even better, and stayed solid.

1 month later we had a brown algae bloom, i think i brushed brown hair algae off the rock 2x, then tg it all went away after 3 months. (i was told this was normal.)

since it was our 1st build, so i have no idea on the other methods.

Latest posts