Sump or no sump on 45 gallon

I've decided to get back into the hobby and found a great deal on a 45 gallon jbj rimless. I've always had a sump for my other tanks but was wondering if I could get by with just a HOB skimmer. A friend has a Aquamaxx HOB-1 in really good condition that he could sell me for like $50. Wanted to see if you guys and gals had any thoughts. Thanks!

I've decided to get back into the hobby and found a great deal on a 45 gallon jbj rimless. I've always had a sump for my other tanks but was wondering if I could get by with just a HOB skimmer. A friend has a Aquamaxx HOB-1 in really good condition that he could sell me for like $50. Wanted to see if you guys and gals had any thoughts. Thanks!
I wouldn't bother with drilling that tank. Just use the HOB skimmer and keep up on the water changes.

If you don't want to use the Aquamaxx, I have a Eshopps 100h I'd also do for the same price. Both are good skimmers just preference really.

Get yourself two of the In Tank media baskets... you can drop carbon bags, gfo etc on each shelf and the water flows through the sections better.

Sweet. Thanks for the advice. I actually just found another 45 gallon rimless cube with a center overflow that includes a sump and skimmer for $50 more. I think I might just go for that lol.

craigslist... hahahaha. I'm trying to go cheap for this tank because our lease ends next August and we're not sure if we're staying or leaving. The guy is selling a fully running tank for $200. It's a bit dirty but I think I can fix it up. I would just sell everything inside while I give it a good clean then re cycle.

You could always slap an overflow box like a eshopps PF-300 if you really want to kick up the livestock load and keep everything clean and tidy. That is assuming that if it is an all in one you are willing to take off the back wall. I have a couple modified JBJ's like that.

craigslist... hahahaha. I'm trying to go cheap for this tank because our lease ends next August and we're not sure if we're staying or leaving. The guy is selling a fully running tank for $200. It's a bit dirty but I think I can fix it up. I would just sell everything inside while I give it a good clean then re cycle.
I don't know how people find such good deals I never find anything good in CL I just find ads and scams on CL

I don't know how people find such good deals I never find anything good in CL I just find ads and scams on CL
I’d probably say being patient. There are new things being posted everyday so waiting around and not jumping at the first thing. Unless it’s something I REALLY want, I’ll give a few days to see if something better comes up. If it’s sold by then whatever

Latest posts