Smite's 66g SPS reef

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Which 3 parts you using
They are so old I'm trying to remember. I think Cal and ALK are ESV and Mag is ME but calcium could also be ME. I just ran out of calcium actually and mixed up some of BRS mix, so that'll be what's going forward for a bit.

Mr V

Premium Member
Supporter
They are so old I'm trying to remember. I think Cal and ALK are ESV and Mag is ME but calcium could also be ME. I just ran out of calcium actually and mixed up some of BRS mix, so that'll be what's going forward for a bit.
About 1~2 years ago, there was a bad batch of Me 2 parts. I would ditch those your old 3 parts and buy new one.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
About 1~2 years ago, there was a bad batch of Me 2 parts. I would ditch those your old 3 parts and buy new one.
Good to know V. These may be older than that even but not much left so I might as well replace them to be safe. Thanks for the heads up!

Mr V

Premium Member
Supporter
Good to know V. These may be older than that even but not much left so I might as well replace them to be safe. Thanks for the heads up!
It could be it. I dont remember exactly how long ago, but its around the time when TGC first open their store in Anaheim. I remember because my friend who worked there said TGC use ME for their new system so I switched from BRS to ME.
My sps randomly rtn after I switched. 2 of my friends experienced the same thing.

Last edited:

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
A few pictures of some happy sticks in my tank. Tried messing with higher aperture # to try and get more of the coral in focus.
WD and a millepora from TGC showing some new colors. These guys are getting blasted by flow and light and seem to love it so far.

This acro from TGC is starting to come back around regaining the red/purplish highlights it had when I picked it out. This one was receding at one point, you can see the super glue ring around the base. Seems to have worked pretty well.

The most active thing in my tank, my cleaner shrimp. Checking me out, probably bored with no fish to clean. Also in the photo:
Reef Pets Ultra Violet
Green Slimer
Unnamed hot pink millepora I got from RRUSA years ago in my first 66g
Tenuis from Fly5150. Never been able to get this to color like they did though

No namer I really like

Last edited:

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Tank is starting to even out. This guy is growing for me now, I like this color combo alot.

Starting to look like a flame and getting a few new nubs going. Great to see it taking over that super glued new growth ring that was dying before.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Picked up a new tenuis from TGC on the way home today. I believe they called it serendipity. Looks real nice in person.

Two other TGC from last week

Have a little cyano on the top rock. Other than that the tanks running good so far.

I ran cuprisorb thinking my fish were done in QT 2 days ago and BAM, cherub blew up with velvet again. I rush ordered some chloroquine phosphate and it arrived today. I'm going to dose it tomorrow morning and will update with the outcome. Lost my fathead anthias unfortunately.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Happy to say the fish that survived QT are back in the system. My clowns never showed interest in the anemone pre-QT. When I released them they shot for that corner to hide. I was making some coffee this AM and glanced over to see these guys right at home.

https://youtu.be/bcAk5X-oIRY

Survivors are:
Yellow tang
Pair of clowns
starry blenny
cherub dwarf angelfish
banggai cardinal fish

Everyone is looking healthy although it was a pain in the arse QT period and I'm glad its over.

Last edited:
Happy to say the fish that survived QT are back in the system. My clowns never showed interest in the anemone pre-QT. When I released them they shot for that corner to hide. I was making some coffee this AM and glanced over to see these guys right at home.

https://youtu.be/bcAk5X-oIRY

Survivors are:
Yellow tang
Pair of clowns
starry blenny
cherub dwarf angelfish
banggai cardinal fish

Everyone is looking healthy although it was a pain in the arse QT period and I'm glad its over.
That cardinal is getting big!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Possibly experienced the me bad batch have ditched it since. Hoping for the better now. Things seem to be much more stable with esv.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
That cardinal is getting big!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Yeah man, this guy is a chow hound! He just chills next to the clowns until i kill flow and feed, then he's all action. Cool little guy.

Possibly experienced the me bad batch have ditched it since. Hoping for the better now. Things seem to be much more stable with esv.
Yeah I'm going ESV from here on out as well. So far so good!

My cherub has started to nip my sps so unfortunately I'll be having to dust off the fish trap. He went through a long QT battling velvet but shows no signs over the last few weeks. Got a failed copper treatment followed by chloroquin phosphate for 3 weeks and a week of prazipro. If anyone who QT'd their system and doesn't keep sps (fine with zoas so far) wants him post up here or pm me. Bummer because his colors are popping now.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Just some progress. Things seem to be getting settled in and coloring up, starting to grow also.

TGC Acro piece

Blue millepora stop it's STN and starting to polyp out more

Reef Pets Ultra Violet

Tenuis from TGC next to JF Flame. The flame has started to shoot out multiple nubs. Hopefully it starts taking off soon.

Weird piece getting more pronounced

I think of this as actinic table since no matter what lighting i shoot it under the camera captures it like a t5 actinic shot. More of a lime green in person

Pink lemonade; is still one of my favorite sps of all time

TGC tenuis coming back from close to bleached

I got this as ASD Rainbow but after placing it in multiple tanks that get great color it just didnt live up to it. Still like it, goldish yellow with bright green and pink coralite. I'm going to frag a piece and throw it right up top to see if anything else comes out of it.

WD - its super happy in this spot but its hard to capture since its right up under a LED puck and I usually shade it trying to get a top down

This one came out cool with the shading from my hand. Highlighted the piece nice with a ray of light.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Thanks guys! Mr V your suggestions on lighting intensity helped me a ton. One less thing to wonder about.

I'll be needing a V pack someday soon :smile (2): that's for sure.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Made the trip out to Vivid Aquariums today. I keep seeing all these awesome sps on their FB page but wanted to see some in person before pulling the trigger. I have to say they represent their sps well with the pictures they post on there. They really have some fire going on in that tank! I managed to limit myself to just two pieces.... but it was tough.

Vivid's Four Loko

Vivid's Glowstick

Last edited:

Latest posts