Smite's 66g SPS reef

pdreef

I believe it's closer to 8 at true peak %. I say that because apex starts to blend the % and color change to the 40% all blue around that point. I'll double check my times when I connect my apex to internet again. My wireless adapter is failing/getting blocked currently.

I do run very high flow near the surface. gyre 150 and 2 mp40s are only a few inches below. I think that really knocks down the par but i haven't checked my levels yet. Maybe you run lower nutrient levels than I do? In my experience when I get close to 0 for No3 Po4 I get pale sticks with high light levels.
Last time I check my No3 it was >4. I have to check again this morning to see. I do feed 4x a day though lol

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Last time I check my No3 it was >4. I have to check again this morning to see. I do feed 4x a day though lol
Dang 4x a day?! do you keep anthias?

I feed nori daily and rods reef, and a little bit of flake or pellets throughout the day. At night I feed Oysterfeast and I mix in reef roids/coral frenzy every few days at night for coral. Corals also get daily dose of pohl's amino acids, sponge power, coral vitalizer.

I just added a few fish to QT. Cleaner wrasse who I've been watching at tongs for a few weeks, jsut devouring prepped food. Cherry head goby, love the nano fish. Flahser wrasse but not sure on the type - he's almost solid red. I plan to get either a yellow coris or a melenarus wrasse. Possibly a leopard in place of one of those but I haven't made up my mind. After that the tank is fully stocked and I'll be done with fish until my upgrade down the road.

pdreef

Dang 4x a day?! do you keep anthias?

I feed nori daily and rods reef, and a little bit of flake or pellets throughout the day. At night I feed Oysterfeast and I mix in reef roids/coral frenzy every few days at night for coral. Corals also get daily dose of pohl's amino acids, sponge power, coral vitalizer.

I just added a few fish to QT. Cleaner wrasse who I've been watching at tongs for a few weeks, jsut devouring prepped food. Cherry head goby, love the nano fish. Flahser wrasse but not sure on the type - he's almost solid red. I plan to get either a yellow coris or a melenarus wrasse. Possibly a leopard in place of one of those but I haven't made up my mind. After that the tank is fully stocked and I'll be done with fish until my upgrade down the road.
How many fish do you have in your 60 gal? And whats your nitrate? Tested mine today and its at 2ppm. I guess I have to turn off my macroalgae reactor and see it that raises up my no3.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
How many fish do you have in your 60 gal? And whats your nitrate? Tested mine today and its at 2ppm. I guess I have to turn off my macroalgae reactor and see it that raises up my no3.
Currently in the tank
Small yellow tang
Starry blenny
Pair of clowns
Bangai cardinalfish
I lost a few fish in QT and plan to add more.

My No3 was near 20ppm and while I had nice color I got little growth. I spoke with Brandon at Vivid and he had amazing color at 0 nitrates and 0.5 phosphate but his frag tank is plumbed into the 800g packed with fish so he knows the sps is not starved. After talking to him I've been slowly cleaning my sump and bringing my nitrates down. I'm under 10 now, I'm guessing closer to 5 but will test before my water change tomorrow. Once I got below 10 I noticed my alk demand increase and I'm seeing growth. Still have color too. I plan on keeping it between 5-10ppm. Seems like good growth and color around there.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Tank was looking good half way through the water change today so I grabbed a few top downs. These are from mid morning when my lights are at their whitest point. Really helps with getting clean pictures for me. Also using Flickr to upload this time since I heard it maintains the quality better. Upload was nice and quick!

Full Top Down
4.29.18 topdown by matthew schueneman, on Flickr

Right Side, Top Rock
4.19.18 topdownrightside by matthew schueneman, on Flickr
Close up of WD
4.18.19 WD4LSDpty by matthew schueneman, on Flickr

Vivid Rainbow Delight next to a hot pink millepora from RRUSA. I may move the millepora lower. You can see it would get some neon green to it with lower light.
4.29.18 VRD by matthew schueneman, on Flickr

Vivid Candlelight in its new place. Hopefully it tables out
4.29.18 VividCandlelight by matthew schueneman, on Flickr

Reef Pet's Ultra Violet next to Tanzanite Terror
4.29.18 ultraviolet by matthew schueneman, on Flickr

TGC Tenuis gaining some pink hues as promised. I really love the base green color on this piece, so bright.
4.29.18 TGCTenuis by matthew schueneman, on Flickr
Another TGC piece getting real nice
4.29.18 TGCstag by matthew schueneman, on Flickr
TGC Millepora
4.29.18 TGCMilllepora by matthew schueneman, on Flickr
SC Orange Passion regaining some color and polyp extension
4.29.18 SCOP by matthew schueneman, on Flickr
one of my favorite millepora; growing quick
4.29.18 rbmillepora by matthew schueneman, on Flickr
Battle Coral Therman Rainbow
In need of some berghia nudibranch or this will be a doomsday for me (ASD Doomsday acro). A new favorite in my tank
4.29.18 ASDdoomsday by matthew schueneman, on Flickr
WTF acro. Trying it mid level in the tank, may raise it up. Love the name
4.28.19 WTF by matthew schueneman, on Flickr
Strange piece doing some wierd stuff. This side looks good but the back side/top is sometimes black. Not sure if its morphing or not. Looks happy and no flesh missing.
4.28.19 topdownleft by matthew schueneman, on Flickr
JF Flame is a quick grower and saturated with color.
4.28.19 JFflame by matthew schueneman, on Flickr
And a cool tenuis i got from fly5150 a few years ago.
4.28.19 5150tenuis by matthew schueneman, on Flickr

Battling some bryopsis in the display unfortunately. Also aiptasia are really starting to become a PITA. I was keeping them back with aiptasia-X but I'm thinking i need to try something else. Open to input.

I lost ANOTHER pin tail in QT during a prazipro treatment. Not sure what happened. The cleaner wrasse, ruby headed goby and flasher wrasse all look great and should be in the tank shortly. Looking forward to that cleaner wrasse being in there, so much character. Nails the glass begging for food when I go in the garage. Eating flakes and pellets too.

Last edited:

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Tank is looking like garbage right now. I've been stuck traveling during the week for work for the last month and it looks like I have two weeks left of it. Just before taking off on the first week a frag fell off a rock, when i went to super glue it back down I noticed AEFW eggs, bah! On top of that I have major GHA and an aiptasia infestation. I've added 3 berghia nudibranch so hopefully I start seeing some aiptasia die off. I'm dosing flatworm stop by pohls for now until I figure out how to attack the aefw when I'm back in town. Suprisingly my coral is still colorful with polyp extension. I was very surprised to find the eggs. Trying to get a game plan for the GHA. For now just water changes and manual removal, hopefully my ATS will start to out compete it.

Some pictures of the mess

But it could be worse, I'm just happy everything still alive and my fish are very healthy.

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
Your tank still looks great with all the issues you are going through. Cant wait to see the bounce back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
GHA is getting worse. So dense that it's trapping detritus and feeding itself constantly. Going to try a bottled reef remedy. ReefFlux. Dose 5 capsules today in the sump and will be following directions for the next 14 days. I'll update with progress on the weekends. Hopefully everything survives, we shall see. Most sticks are happy regardless. Some paled from the GHA pulling my No3 and Po4 to undetectable. Mid water change today, no viewer so pictures aren't the cleanest. Mostly just to show the damage, this is after pulling what i could in a 15g change.

6.20.18 1

6.20.18 2

6.20.18 3

6.20.18 4

6.20.18 5

6.20.18 6

6.20.18 7

6.20.18 8

Hopefully my next update with have dying algae & happy sticks :)

How's the CUC? I see one snail, if it's a snail and its been in the same place next to the WD(?) on 4/29 and today.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
How's the CUC? I see one snail, if it's a snail and its been in the same place next to the WD(?) on 4/29 and today.
Not great. I've got a few turbos, handful of various hermit crabs, 2 conch, nassarius, and a couple astrea snails. But good point Im gonna check that guy lol! He is always there.

Looking good ! I need to move a few frags to my Lagoon tank from my 70. Let me know when your gonna frag that Wd :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Hopefully you did a wc before using the reef flux. It's a miracle worker. Just be ready for the cyano after all the die off
I did a slightly larger than normal water change before dosing. Good to hear, did you use it in the past? As lokg as its cyano and not dinos it's all good

Yeah I used it 2 months ago. No ill effects on corals or fishes so far. Had bad cyano outbreak and cleared it up with chemi clean. No other issues since

Latest posts