Smite's 66g SPS reef

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
New tank syndrome in full effect. Seems every system i start I get diatoms followed by dinoflagellets. I've got it under control so far with manual removal and dosing Vibrant with weekly water changes. The bloom of dinos stripped the water to 0 for NO3 PO4 so my sticks paled out. I wont be suprised to see GHA once this runs its course and nutrients are available again. I also have some strange white bacterial slime so I've cut back on sponge power for now. For the most part everything is happy and my wife has been doing a great job caring for the tank while I'm out of town during the week.

This guys starting to act less shy and is now the boss of the tank
FatheadAnthia.12.11.17.jpg
All these fish are complete pigs but this guy....surprised he can swim upright after i feed the tank.
fairywrasse.12.11.17.jpg
Model citizen so far. I need to try and catch a top down of this guy sometime to show the highlights of blue around his face and fins.
Pygmy.12.11.2017.jpg
Little Bangai Cardinal fish captive bred from the OGFrenchorn pad growing quick! Is pairing these guys up similar to pairing clownfish? 1 large 1 smaller?
bangaicardinal.12.11.17.jpg
TGC piece taking the lack of nutrients hard. The big 3 and lighting stable so far, so I'm pretty positive that is the culprit.
TGCmari.12.11.7.jpg

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Man I miss Photobucket...
FTS from this morning
FTS.12.11.17.jpg
SSC starting to show color again
ssc.12.11.17.jpg
Showing some purple tips
CBOG.12.11.17.jpg
Pink millepora
pinkmille.12.11.17.jpg
TGC millepora getting some nice purple and polyps are out more
TGC.Millepora.12.11.17.jpg

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
OGFstag.12.11.17.jpg
JoeTheCoral
joethecoral.12.11.17.jpg
Pink Lemonade
Pinklemonade.12.11.7.jpg
BubbleGum Digi
bubblegumdigi.12.11.17.jpg
Acro from fly5150 I was able to get back thanks to thegrun and a blue tip stag. Need to find permanent spots for these.
Bluetipstag.5150tenuis.12.11.17.jpg

newe70

2020 Philanthropist
Great looking roackscape, Matt. As for the bubble gum digita, I have it on high flow and high light. The color is very nice under my 52hd.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Tank is starting to stabilize and I've noticed some coraline build up over the last week. Feeding heavy and dosing a bit of nitrates to maintain 5ppm.

Fish list is now:
Yellow tang
Lubbock's fairy wrasse
Blue sided fairy wrasse
Melanurus wrasse
Bangai Cardinal
Photon clown pair
Starry Blenny
Fathead Anthias
Cherub Angel

Lost my pylei to what I think was my bubble tip. Dead out of nowhere with a huge blister on its side.

Current FTS:

Left side view

Right side view

Lubbock's/Melanurus top down

Bangai growing like crazy

Looking good man! I've been thinking about getting an aquarium with a blue background for my next build.

That cardinal is looking good! It turns 1 year old either this week or next.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Looking good man! I've been thinking about getting an aquarium with a blue background for my next build.

That cardinal is looking good! It turns 1 year old either this week or next.

Thanks man! I was trying to decide between blue or white for the back. I ended up going white but the lighting makes it look blue in the pictures. I think once some of these sticks start growing up it's really going to help them pop out.

The cardinal is awesome. Very shy at first but with more fish added he is always on display now. I wanted to pair him up but I've read it's just about impossible to know what's male / female.

Thanks man! I was trying to decide between blue or white for the back. I ended up going white but the lighting makes it look blue in the pictures. I think once some of these sticks start growing up it's really going to help them pop out.

The cardinal is awesome. Very shy at first but with more fish added he is always on display now. I wanted to pair him up but I've read it's just about impossible to know what's male / female.
Males have longer fins but I think it's too young to sex right now

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Man fish kick my arse. I'm just not lucky enough to not QT. I lost a few wrasse to what I'm pretty sure is velvet (again!) I've got a QT setup and running. I caught the remainder of the fish last night. With the majority of the rock being one piece it only took about 10-15 minutes to pull it and net the fish.

Today everything looks happy. My nitrates got above 10ppm I think from trying to bait my fish into the trap, was feeding super heavy. One coral didnt take to it well, joe the coral is trying to STN but I'm going to hit him with super glue and see if that stops the recession.

Found some unique looking pieces over the weekend. None are named pieces but i like the look of them and think they'll turn out nice.
greenish base with rusty brown/reddish polyps

purple base with reddish polyps

Purple with white polyps. I had one like this in the past that really lit up for me. Hoping this is a similar piece.

Maybe someone can ID this acro for me. I was told at Tongs it was a millepora but not sure. Sensitive, lost some color during teh acclimation

Another grab at Tongs. Could hardly see color on it under the super blue t5 there. The radions are showing it has some yellow with reddish polyps. Not sure if its new growth but it has a flesh color between nubs. Pic turned out super dark for whatever reason.

Reef Pets UltraViolet - Big thanks to Mr.V for giving this back to me. Thanks bud, I owe you one.

These two like thier nitrates

Moving this table up high to see if I can get more than highlighter green from it. More flow there too, it was starting to branch out lanky

Blue tips on the super light green is very nice

'

Last edited:

Mr V

Premium Member
Supporter
There you go, fish trouble huh. I feel the pain bro, lost like 10 wrasses in total!
What will be medicine list you gonna stock for the quarantine tank?

I cant see pic btw.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
There you go, fish trouble huh. I feel the pain bro, lost like 10 wrasses in total!
What will be medicine list you gonna stock for the quarantine tank?

I cant see pic btw.
Dang, wonder whats up with the pictures?

Yeah I lost my lubbocks, pylei, watchman goby (jumped) and african leopard wrasse. I ran copper power on everything in my 100g system. So I'll be going that route again. Once that is complete I'll do one to two treatments of prazipro. I'm just glad I had some of those marine pure plates in my sump. I'm sure they'll obsorb copper but its better than throwing all those fish in and battling ammonia.

Love wrasses but they are hard to group for sure. I'm going back and forth on slowly removing my sand bed or not while I got all the fish out.

Fish that made it to QT:
yellow tang
fathead anthias
bangai cardinal
blue headed fairy wrasse
melenarus wrasse
cherub angel
starry blenny (not looking so hot)
photon clown pair < pretty sure they brought in the problem

Good looking tank! Guess Im observant enough those frags looked good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks man! Hoping they grow out and color up nicely. If you go sps on the reboot shoot me a pm.

Last edited:
Dang, wonder whats up with the pictures?

Yeah I lost my lubbocks, pylei, watchman goby (jumped) and african leopard wrasse. I ran copper power on everything in my 100g system. So I'll be going that route again. Once that is complete I'll do one to two treatments of prazipro. I'm just glad I had some of those marine pure plates in my sump. I'm sure they'll obsorb copper but its better than throwing all those fish in and battling ammonia.

Love wrasses but they are hard to group for sure. I'm going back and forth on slowly removing my sand bed or not while I got all the fish out.

Fish that made it to QT:
yellow tang
fathead anthias
bangai cardinal
blue headed fairy wrasse
melenarus wrasse
cherub angel
starry blenny (not looking so hot)
photon clown pair < pretty sure they brought in the problem

Thanks man! Hoping they grow out and color up nicely. If you go sps on the reboot shoot me a pm.
Cool thanks. Yeah I think Im do sps but I am going fight algae first and redo my rock work with TLF Stax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Trying to trouble shoot where tin and aluminum are coming from in my system. My triton test showed elevated levels for both so I've been digging into that. My ats has some very small screws that showed some slight rust so I pulled it and siliconed over the screws. I added some cuprisorb and plan to watch the color and keep swapping it if need be. Then test again. I've also added a chloramine filter block in my RO/DI per advice from a fellow reefer.

I pulled the plug from my skimmer and ran a hose back into the sump. I'm getting growth and color back steadily in all but my smooth skinned acros. Hawkins started to recede and my red dragons ended up RTN'n on me. Hopefully I'll get this metal issue resolved and can attempt them again down the line.

The other pieces I fragged are holding strong and my WD is getting a little more purple so that's a plus!

djrice69

SocaliReef M0DERAT0R IG Farmedfrags
Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
are you using two part or calcium reactors?

Trying to trouble shoot where tin and aluminum are coming from in my system. My triton test showed elevated levels for both so I've been digging into that. My ats has some very small screws that showed some slight rust so I pulled it and siliconed over the screws. I added some cuprisorb and plan to watch the color and keep swapping it if need be. Then test again. I've also added a chloramine filter block in my RO/DI per advice from a fellow reefer.

I pulled the plug from my skimmer and ran a hose back into the sump. I'm getting growth and color back steadily in all but my smooth skinned acros. Hawkins started to recede and my red dragons ended up RTN'n on me. Hopefully I'll get this metal issue resolved and can attempt them again down the line.

The other pieces I fragged are holding strong and my WD is getting a little more purple so that's a plus!

djrice69

SocaliReef M0DERAT0R IG Farmedfrags
Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
Which 3 parts you using