Smite's 66g SPS reef

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
I picked up a 66g SCA built a stand and got it all painted up. I plumb most of it today and managed to get most my equipment inside. My wife didn't want to see the ATO container so I sacrificed my calcium reactor and will be using my doser for now.

Tank
SCA 66g 32x24x20
Sump SCA from the 50g converted to 2 chambers
Stand is 32x24x40"

Lighting
Radion g3 Pro x2

Filtration
40 lbs dry rock held with Aquamaxx reef welder
Still decoding on sand most likely special grade dry
ATS by Turbo version L2
Vectron v2 400 UV sterilizer
Filter sock
Deciding on carbon reactors right now

Flow
Vectra M1 return feeds display and manifold
Mp40wqd x2 flow in tank

Other equipment
Apex Gold
Tunze ATO
Ehiem heater
10g AA top off reservoir

I'm planning a mixed reef with focus on SPS. More than likely a few zoanthids and maxima clam.

Fish
Some type of clown pair leaning toward skunk.
Leopard wrasse
Pistol shrimp goby pair
Either dwarf angel or smaller tang
20171023_171914.jpg 20171023_171928.jpg
I still have work to do on the rock.
At the very least cover the joint with small rock. 20171023_172029.jpg

Sorry pics look sideways.

Welcome back Matt, I knew it would not take long. Nice clean setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djrice69

SocaliReef M0DERAT0R IG Farmedfrags
Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
Glad to see you setting it back up no more t5s?

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
Going to set up a similar setup. Will be following this build

Mr V

Premium Member
Supporter
Well, nice to see you setting up a new tank Matt!
Look good so far!
Let me know if you need some acros to test the water. I will donate some of the old school.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Welcome back Matt, I knew it would not take long. Nice clean setup.

Yeah, I got the bug again. It was over once i started checking out everyone's tanks on the forums again.
Glad to see you setting it back up no more t5s?
Glad to be back David. I've seen so many LED only tanks that look great that it made me regret not giving the Radions a better chance before the switch. I also don't have central AC in this house yet so I'm trying to save heat wherever possible.
That's cute

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
:rockon:

Going to set up a similar setup. Will be following this build

Very cool, are you going with a SC aquarium tank or just similar dimensions?

Nice set up. Similar to my sca 80 gallon. Following this also

Thank you, I'll hop over and check out your thread too.
Well, nice to see you setting up a new tank Matt!
Look good so far!
Let me know if you need some acros to test the water. I will donate some of the old school.
Haha will do buddy & thanks. I couldn't go too long that's for sure. I'll be bugging you about your radion settings in no time. :peace:

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Glad you are back, Matt. I can't wait to see your new setup. Good choice on leopard wrasse.
Thanks bud! Once i get this thing wet you'll have to come by and check it out and the new house. I think a leopard will do well in this size tank.

Thanks Bryan, I'm sure I'll be hitting you up for some frags when the time comes. Hope the tanks doing great, starting to grow in?
Man... I’m crying right now. There are going to fumigate on the first week of November. Got some of my reef buddies holding my corals but it’s like restarting from step one. ��

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Man... I’m crying right now. There are going to fumigate on the first week of November. Got some of my reef buddies holding my corals but it’s like restarting from step one. ��
Ah man that sucks, sorry to hear but at least you got some buddies that could hold your pieces for you!

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
20171027_122815.jpg 20171027_133700.jpg

Past the leak test! Failed the picture right side up test.

Got my radions calibrated and apex/wxm updated. I noticed today that fusion has downloadable schemes and the SPS AB+ that I wanted to try before but was only available with the ecotech software is now there. Stoked on that to say the least.

I went with Fritz turbo start bacteria to help with the cycle. I didn't acid bath the rocks this time so there should be enough junk to get things going. If not I have some ammonia as well.

I was hoping to get away with keeping both mp40s on the back wall but i can tell already the center will have a dead spot. Next tank will have some type of low profile overflow for sure.

This tank has a durso, not bad but does make some noise.

Took advantage of marinedepots SCR coupon and picked up some dry special grade. I'll be adding that down the line once the tank is in its final resting place.

Last edited:
The rockwork looks sweet Matt. Did you like the AquaMaxx Reef Welder? At first I was like ooooh Bare Bottom? I'm tempted to try it with mine, possibly add sand later.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
The rockwork looks sweet Matt. Did you like the AquaMaxx Reef Welder? At first I was like ooooh Bare Bottom? I'm tempted to try it with mine, possibly add sand later.
It's great and pretty easy to work with. Such a great idea, so simple.

I almost took the extra time to paint the bottom of the tank a sand color so of any sand blew from a corner it wouldn't be noticeable. I'm wishing I'd done it now, if I had I'd probably try BB for a bit so o could get my gyre in here too.

You could probably hide a decent amount of sand in a container in that large of a tank. I want atleast one wrasse so I'll be adding sand for sure.

djrice69

SocaliReef M0DERAT0R IG Farmedfrags
Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
It's great and pretty easy to work with. Such a great idea, so simple.

I almost took the extra time to paint the bottom of the tank a sand color so of any sand blew from a corner it wouldn't be noticeable. I'm wishing I'd done it now, if I had I'd probably try BB for a bit so o could get my gyre in here too.

You could probably hide a decent amount of sand in a container in that large of a tank. I want atleast one wrasse so I'll be adding sand for sure.
Until Coraline algae grows