Hawaii has closed up

reefsUP

Looks like they just gave the go earlier today better get your Hawaiian fish before they go up could be weeks to months till they start rolling back in

Tangwich

2020 Philanthropist
Simple solution....as pringles is for corals, this container below is for....well you get the idea ; )

images.jpg

gonumber24

Premium Member
Supporter
Yes, more regulation is necessary. I've been in the water there close to a hundred times and have never seen a flame Angel. Rarely see yellow tangs. Convict tangs, mustard tangs, damsels, are plentiful. Achilles tangs are rare.

Yes, more regulation is necessary. I've been in the water there close to a hundred times and have never seen a flame Angel. Rarely see yellow tangs. Convict tangs, mustard tangs, damsels, are plentiful. Achilles tangs are rare.
Same here. Only place ive seen yellow tangs are in protected sites. Never seen a potters or flame angel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you guys think this dearth of of sightings is due to over collection, or possibly something else? Or just to be on the safe side, punish aquarists first, find the root cause later.

gonumber24

Premium Member
Supporter
Do you guys think this dearth of of sightings is due to over collection, or possibly something else? Or just to be on the safe side, punish aquarists first, find the root cause later.
Yes. About 10 years ago, I went to a wholesaler in Honolulu. They had dozens of flame angels at around 25 a pop. Yellow tangs were around 8 a pop. That trip, I had been in the water all over the island and no flames. The collectors had over collected on Oahu already and had been going to Christmas.

I prefer err on the side of caution, shut down collecting, and hopefully see a rebound in aquatic life. Once that occurs, stricter regulation of collection needs to happen. That, unfortunately, will cost money.

The Hawaii people, for the most part, treasure their natural resources and want to see these resources to stay for generations to come.

Thankfully, advances in aquaculturing have occurred and can fill the void that will develop from this decision.

djrice69

SocaliReef M0DERAT0R IG Farmedfrags
Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
I saw a bunch on the big island yellow tangs mostly really depends on the areas collected

Latest posts