First Reefer Tank

Bryancls

I hope this all goes well. Keep us updated.

-Kamran
Hi Kamran, thanks for asking, its day 20 today of cycling my tank, Im about to do a water change but I decided to do it tomorrow on day 21. Last weekend was really challenging. Water was really cloudy after adding a pair of Ocellaris clown fish and the 2 fishes that I added got an ich the next day. Had some visitors at home so I didnt get the chance to really focus on that problem. I went to my trusted LFS and they were able to test my water , Ammonia is 0 but the Nitrite was a bit high and the Nitrate is showing around 10-20ppm which explains why my water is cloudy (bacterial bloom?). I went back home and dose my tank with 10ml of nitrifying bacteria and the next day it was crystal clear. Now to deal with the Ich, I went and buy a Quarantine tank which will arrive tomorrow, I will be going to treat the clowns with some copper medicatoins and the display tank with an Ich attack by Kordon, Im currently dosing the tank with Ich attack by Kordon and some garlic until my QT arrive, I also brought the hairy like mucus flopping behind the smaller fish and examined in the lab where I am working at just to make sure it is not a worm or any other parasite and it is really just a poop with lots of bacterias in it, white dots are gone after 4 days of ich attack and garlic but I will still quarantine them and so as the tank for a month. I can say this is a rough start for a newbie like me but I think I can learn a lot of experience on this.

I will check my water tomorrow and do a water change as the end of the cycle using the RedSea mature pro kit. It has been a week now of having a clear water and no sign of ammonia (accdg to seachem ammonia alert, but will do some water testing tomorrow) so I hope that my bacterias are doing a good job with all the food that my clowns are not eating. I know it will still be months before I can say that my tank is really established but I am being patient and learning so Im keeping the good faith. Im glad the 2 fishes are tough enough to get through this.

Upgrades:
BRS DIY Lid screen
Ecotech marine reef link
Sicce Sincra silent 2.0 (not really silent but it gives me the reccomended GPH), was about to get the Eheim Compact 2000 pump but this pump is on sale, until I get the chance to get the Vectra.

SantaMonicaHelp

I appreciate all the effort you're going through to take care of your fish. It's common for newbies to have rough starts, but once you gain experience, I'm sure you'll be a great fishkeeper.

I hope your clowns pull through. Darn ich...

-Kamran

Latest posts