Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Member
    Name
    Bryan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ich in my new first fishes? HELP!!!

Hi? We purchased 2 Ocellaris clownfish yesterday and 20 clean up crews (hermits, turbo snail, margarita snail and a Nassarius snail). The clownfishes where looking good last night but then as we check them out this morning I saw some distingiusing white spots on their body.

ick3.jpg

ick2.jpg

ick1.jpg

are this really an Ich? what should I do with this?

Contributing Member
    Name
    Adam
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I could be wrong but it may just be sand. Clowns have a think slime coat so when lights are out sand can get a bit stuck to them. Google image Ich and see if it looks similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    More money more problems, more fish less money, no problems-ME

3. Likes turbonut liked this post
    Registered Member
    Name
    Jake
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep feeding them to a point you’re over feeding them. Boost their immune system.

Name
    Kevin
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bryancls View Post
    Hi? We purchased 2 Ocellaris clownfish yesterday and 20 clean up crews (hermits, turbo snail, margarita snail and a Nassarius snail). The clownfishes where looking good last night but then as we check them out this morning I saw some distingiusing white spots on their body.

ick3.jpg

ick2.jpg

ick1.jpg

are this really an Ich? what should I do with this?
    Looks like ich to me. Do you have any other fish in the tank? I would take all fish out and treat them separately in a quarantine tank with cupramine. Leave the tank fishless for 60 days.

Registered Member
    Name
    Bryan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gonumber24 View Post
    Looks like ich to me. Do you have any other fish in the tank? I would take all fish out and treat them separately in a quarantine tank with cupramine. Leave the tank fishless for 60 days.
    Thats the only fishes I have in there + 20 clean up crews. Whats the best thing I can do with this? I was thinking of returning the fish to the store but looks like I need to treat the whole tank after that.

Registered Member
    Name
    Jake
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your goal is to keep the fishes alive. If they are eating and not stress out I would keep them jn the tank. Boost their immuse system up. Don’t add any new fishes for about 2 months. If you try to catch them and dip them Inthink that would do more harm than good at this time.

Name
    Kevin
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thats the only fishes I have in there + 20 clean up crews. Whats the best thing I can do with this? I was thinking of returning the fish to the store but looks like I need to treat the whole tank after that.
    If you return the fish, just don't add any fish for at least 2 months, to make sure the parasite has died off in your tank.

9. Likes Bryancls liked this post
    Registered Member
    Name
    Bryan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you return the fish, just don't add any fish for at least 2 months, to make sure the parasite has died off in your tank.
    What about the snails and hermits?

Name
    Kevin
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What about the snails and hermits?

Ich is a fish only disease.

Registered Member
    Name
    Bryan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ich is a fish only disease.
    thanks gonumber24. I'll probably quarantine the fish and so as the tank since they are the only inhabitants there.

Name
    Kevin
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

thanks gonumber24. I'll probably quarantine the fish and so as the tank since they are the only inhabitants there.
    You're welcome. Keep an eye on your clowns. If you start seeing white slimy sheets coming off of them, it's brookynella - commonly called clownfish disease. It's also a parasite but copper doesn't affect it. You need formalin.

Registered Member
    Name
    Bryan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're welcome. Keep an eye on your clowns. If you start seeing white slimy sheets coming off of them, it's brookynella - commonly called clownfish disease. It's also a parasite but copper doesn't affect it. You need formalin.
    that being said... what would be the best that I should be using?

Gameplan: I will be increasing my temp to 83 degrees F then add an ich killer... now what anti Ich would be best for this that will not kill my inverts and the bacterias that are already in my tank.

Name
    Kevin
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

that being said... what would be the best that I should be using?

Gameplan: I will be increasing my temp to 83 degrees F then add an ich killer... now what anti Ich would be best for this that will not kill my inverts and the bacterias that are already in my tank.
    Honestly, you're probably wasting your time. If you want to do it right, go with copper. Cupramine by seachem is the best. You'll need to quarantine the fish, take them out and put them in a separate tank.

The other option is to let it ride and see if your fish can fight off the ich on their own. I would not raise the temp. 75 is good. You can lower the salinity a bit, but not much since you have inverts. Down to 1.020.

16. Thanks Bryancls thanked for this post
    Registered Member
    Name
    Dave
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you can't setup a Qt tank the absolute best thing you can do is to A) keep the fish eating and B) lower their stress levels. One of the things that has worked well for me is keeping the tank ultra clean, zero nitrates. I did a 5% change every other day. You can't do too mcuh and must be careful to keep it same salinity and temp. Be real low key about the changes. Also, garlic in their food works agreat. I also used something called Metro+. It was a tough run, but eventually, I got them turned around. Clowns are pretty tough compared to other fish, you have a good shot at it. The best is to treat with copper, but I understand that is not always possible when you are just starting out. Maybe someone can lend you a QT tank.

I also tried/used kick-ich. Not sure if that helped, but I was desprate to not let my wife's fishes die.

Dave

Registered Member
    Name
    H
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had several cases of ich and found usually that quarantine with cupramine is the best solution. I think there was one time that fishkeeper and parashield dosing and feeding food mixed with garlic and vitamin C helped, but that only worked maybe one or two times with small outbreaks. Good luck with the recovery!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information