Registered Member
    Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rando questiono about my lawn

So we got a house last month (yay!) and we need to put manure and other ferts as well as some good topseed on the brown and bare spots.

I don't want to go to home depot or lowe's though. The prices they charge for lawn care seems outrageous to me.

What sort of store should i go to in order to get these things?

Like the aquarium industry, going to a big box pet store is always the last place to get stuff like oyster grit, which you can get from the feed store for 1/8 the price.

Lowes and hd want to charge $30 for lawn ferts, and about the same for top seed.

Manure and soil are the main things i need, and probably just a good nitrogen fert to mix in.

Ideas?

(also, if someone else in the IE needs to fix up their lawn, i dont mind going in together on a large bulk and we split it somehow)

send nudes
    Name
    gumbii garcia
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)

lol... home depot and lowes sells the same stuff landscapers use... you can go to a nursery, and get the local stuff that's super over priced... there is no marine depot for lawn maintenance...

that said... order on amazon...??? LOL...

Quote Originally Posted by lurking View Post
    I like to think of it as you were loving on my pipes rather than working on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
    Hey man, as long as there aint no funky tongue action, I'm cool with it, LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greaser9999 View Post
    Please do not send me nudes of u & Noah together

send nudes
    Name
    gumbii garcia
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)

congrats on house btw...

I like to think of it as you were loving on my pipes rather than working on them.

Registered Member
    Name
    Jeff
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have St Augustine grass on my lawn. I have spots that need feeling due to to my neglect in the beginning. Now I'm on top of it. I buy st Augustine grass at home depot for $9 for about I want to say 14X14. I take home and cut it in 4 pieces and place on the dirt. I've watched patch spots nicely. Right now it will go dormant for winter but still grows. For nitrogen ferts I use milorganite. You can maybe search a lawn mower place around your area cause the one by my house sells a lot of supplies for grass, seeds, manure ect ect.... go on YouTube and check out the Lawn care nut. If you do get St Augustine grass make sure to lift and look at the bottom and get the one with the longest roots
    Drifters do it slidewayzzz

Contributing Member
    Name
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IME Home Depot is the cheapest for steer manure @ $1 per bag. I just bought 50 bags. And lawn fert is $12 per bag. Every year I tell my son we are going to do a midnight raid on the local horse stable, 20 large bins of fresh horse poop just sitting on the curb. But then I see those horses staring at me at night, & I know some other guy has already wispered to them, oh they’ll rat me out for sure.

Contributing Member
    Name
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do yourself a treat and sod the whole front lawn. It will be done quick and picture perfect. A new house house deserves a new lawn.

Then I would rip out the back lawn and turn it into a farm with fruit trees, veggies and flowers- see the many therads here about plants.

Name
    LowBaller
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

i thought i read horse. too tired this week
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbii View Post
    congrats on house btw...
    He says your pictures suck
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedfish View Post
    Yep I love big wieners just like Schnitzel

8. Likes gumbii liked this post
    Name
    LowBaller
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

just water it. it will grow. when you make water for the tank just run the line to those patches for extra water.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffreef View Post
    I have St Augustine grass on my lawn. I have spots that need feeling due to to my neglect in the beginning. Now I'm on top of it. I buy st Augustine grass at home depot for $9 for about I want to say 14X14. I take home and cut it in 4 pieces and place on the dirt. I've watched patch spots nicely. Right now it will go dormant for winter but still grows. For nitrogen ferts I use milorganite. You can maybe search a lawn mower place around your area cause the one by my house sells a lot of supplies for grass, seeds, manure ect ect.... go on YouTube and check out the Lawn care nut. If you do get St Augustine grass make sure to lift and look at the bottom and get the one with the longest roots

Name
    LowBaller
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

if you have augustine. just water it. it will grow. i pulled out 90% of my lawn 2 years ago. it was filled with weeds. for about a a year i look like @gumbii. know it looks like @babyjess210 not the best lawn on the block

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffreef View Post

Registered Member
    Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rayray View Post
    Do yourself a treat and sod the whole front lawn. It will be done quick and picture perfect. A new house house deserves a new lawn.

Then I would rip out the back lawn and turn it into a farm with fruit trees, veggies and flowers- see the many therads here about plants.
    We are sodding the back lawn. The kids need a place to run around.

We will probably grow pot in the side yard, just for the hell of it. (neither my wife or i smoke, but we know people to give it to).

I know how to make a lawn thrive, but the prices some of the placea charge for those nutrients is crazy!

I will try and get the $1 manure bags.

Registered Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You never mention type of grass. Unless it's a Fescue it'll go dormant through winter. You can put out a winter rye which is getting late to do, that would be green through out winter and die off in mid spring. I see no benefit in sodding yards anymore unless everyone in your neighborhood has a fescue or Marathon and all use the same gardener. But even then birds will drop seed and your new expensive yard will be crap in about three years. If you use a lawnmower pusher because that's all they are now a days and they don't clean their mower between yards. Your yard will quickly turn to crap.

Saddly anymore your best bet is a good Bermuda which if maintained will look nice and resist some weed penetration. Will still go dormant but that's when winter rye gets seeded and you have green all year long. Just two different grasses. St Augustine is the worst you or your neighbor can put down unless you live on acreage and just need something for dust control.

I have a neighbor that lays new sod every couple of years because of lawnmower pushers blowing everyones cuttings in the air and they ruin his yard. My nephew just had Astro turf put in done right and it's nice. But at $11 a square foot, it better be.

Registered Member
    Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have bermuda here. It needs just some filler and nitrogen in the soil and some aeration.

Previous owners took shitcare of the lawn. It is an uphill struggle, but nothing i do not have experience with. I just need to find an inexpensive place for nitrogen ferts, this late in the season.

send nudes
    Name
    gumbii garcia
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)

i hate grass and lawns... just get fake grass where the kid's play... and the rest replace it with rocks... LOL... i took out all of the grass at my house... some places has DE, but i'm going to use gravel like they do at the nurseries... i need to elevate humidity somehow... maintaining a lawn sucks so much... huge waste of water and time IMO...

get fake... it's cleaner as long as you don't have giant dogs...

Contributing Member
    Name
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i love grass lawns, especially in the summer because when the air temp is hot the live grass is cool to the touch on bare feet. artificial grass is HOT, unless you put in a cooling system- more $, more water; without a cooling system Ive seen some fake lawns melt, especially if it receives reflected sunlight from windows.

I grew up cutting lawns. My dad & I have had just about every type of grass and my favorite by far is tall fescue. My favorit push mower were the hondas but thats another topic & kids these days dont mow their own lawns. my cousins in the midwest had riding mowers because their homes sit on multiple acres of grass with free water from God, i feel like I missed out.

like a reef tank, if you really get into your lawn then of course you would get your own equipment and do it yourself, I used to- mower, edger (real one that makes straight vertical edges, not a weed wackers that cut weird angles because "gardeners" dont really care about your lawn) backpack blower, Stihl chainsaw too (because they're cool). then you have to maintain the sprinklers too. and you may not want steer manure as it always introduces alfalfa, clover & other seeds the horses ate. seeding always leads to bare spots and you have to keep kids away. thats why I like sod, let the growers worry about giving you a solid mat.

send nudes
    Name
    gumbii garcia
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)

gay...

17. Likes rayray liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information