Having trouble keeping torches

So I am having a hard time keeping torches alive.

My tank has been running for about 2 years. All lps and softies.

Frogspawn and hammers do well. Only having problems with torches.

Alk: 8.2
Ca: 420-450
Salinity: 1.025
Temp 77-80
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: ~5ppm
Phosphate .25

Lighting is ai hydra (2) running the AB+ radion settings at about 75%.

Tank is 48x18x24 90 gallon with 20 gallon sump. Also cannot keep chaeto alive either.

I run carbon and phosphate reactors. Dose B-Ionic 2 part.

I mix my own salt (red sea), and have and RODI water system.

Is there anything that I am missing? Anything that I should be dosing? Anything else I should be testing for?

Not saying that this could be your problem, but..

Ca and temp fluctuate too much.

Try to keep it stable with a 10ppm+/- on your Ca. Shoot for a goal/range.

Temp 77-80 is a huge difference. This all depends if your sitting at 77 w/ lights off, then 80 w/ lights on is playing a big factor. In the wild 72-78 is what most, of these corals thrive under. So shoot for these number. Maybe consider using fans or lowering your temp, so that w/ the lights on itll only hit 78.

Po4 is a little on the high range.

Over all I think you will have greater success, if you can keep it stable. Which ever number you settle with, just keep it stable. Corals is like us human, we tend to thrive in a stable economy.

GL

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Not saying that this could be your problem, but..

Ca and temp fluctuate too much.

Try to keep it stable with a 10ppm+/- on your Ca. Shoot for a goal/range.

Temp 77-80 is a huge difference. This all depends if your sitting at 77 w/ lights off, then 80 w/ lights on is playing a big factor. In the wild 72-78 is what most, of these corals thrive under. So shoot for these number. Maybe consider using fans or lowering your temp, so that w/ the lights on itll only hit 78.

Po4 is a little on the high range.

Over all I think you will have greater success, if you can keep it stable. Which ever number you settle with, just keep it stable. Corals is like us human, we tend to thrive in a stable economy.

GL

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Sorry, I might have been too lax with those readings.

I actually have a chiller setup. It is set to come on at 78. The heater is set at 77 with a controller.

I think it may get a little warmer on hot days. But I am having a hard time finding a good thermometer. (thermometer, chiller, and heater all read different, +-1 degree)

Not saying that Ca fluctuates that much, but my red sea test kit doesnt seem to be 100% consistent. So I gave a general range. Getting a hanna soon.

My p04 is taken using a salifert phosphate kit. Lowest reading is .25, so mine could actually be lower. Just doesnt test for anything lower.

Thanks for your input, I will definitely try and keep everything as stable as possible.

djrice69

SocaliReef M0DERAT0R IG Farmedfrags
Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
how much flow you got?