Freshwater to Saltwater Conversion

I recently ran out of CO2 for my freshwater planted tank but didn't have any free time to get it refilled for a few weeks and in that time algae started taking over my tank. When I finally got it refilled, I was tinkering with my needle valve and apparently left it open way too much. The next day I came home to a school of Ember Tetras, 4 Electric Blue Rams, 7 Julii Cory Cats, 3 Amano Shrimp and a handful of Horned Nerite Snails belly up in my tank.

Its been a few weeks now and I haven't really done much to the tank after I cleaned it up. I was going to try and rescape it and start again but ended up getting bummed out and just ignored it. I've been a lot more interested in the Saltwater world lately, so when my dad came over last week he convinced me to turn it into a reef tank.

That is the reason for this post. I want to convert my 23 gallon Cadlights Zen Series tank into something reef ready. I've already started looking at a few items that I think I may need to make this happen, but I'd like to lean on the knowledge of this forum to guide the way. I currently only have a 12 gallon AIO, so this would be my first real build of this nature. I'm probably going to have a lot of questions, so bare with me.

I've read that using a canister filter is doable for a saltwater tank, but it's not ideal. Since my tank doesn't already have an existing overflow, I've started looking at a couple. I don't love the idea of the HOB overflow boxes since they're dependent on a constant siphon. I like the Eshopps Eclipse overflow, especially since it comes with the bit to drill the hole. Does anybody have any experience with this one?

Next, I need some advice on what sump to get. I have 19"x10.5" to work with in my cabinet so space is limited. Can anyone recommend a good and small sump? I still don't fully understand all the different equipment like reactors and whatnot so I haven't really decided what I want to keep in there.

Lastly would be the return. I've tried researching what some reliable pumps are out there and everyone seems to have their own preference. The overflow is rated for 600gph so my pump needs to be less than that and since its only a 23 gallon tank and it would be moving the water less than 4 feet, I would imagine this piece wouldn't be all that expensive, right?

Obviously, in between all this would be the plumbing and whatever I decide I want to keep in the sump plus a lot more that I probably don't even know about. I just wanted to start to get ideas of which direction to go. Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

dontavo27

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
My Tank Build
You did a great job by choosing to go with a reef aquarium. I’ve never, drilled a tank, or used a hob over flow. However if you have trouble finding the right size sump, you can always make your own with a little 10gal breeder tank and couple of acrylic pieces from Lowe’s or Home Depot, this is the route I went, and my livestock is happy.
For that size tank I would go with a SICCE Syncra within the 300gph range as a return.
But my best advice is have patience and don’t rush into things. Post pictures of your tank, I’m sure more people will chime in

I switched to salt. Didn't really switch, still have freshwater too. Anyway. I bought a tank that had a bunch of stuff I didn't recognize. Aqua Remora HOB skimmer, salt mix and refractometer. Started looking things up and thought, what the heck? Gave it a shot and shorty after setting up that 30 gallon and having success moved to a larger tank. 18 years later still going.
23 gallons? I'd just rely on a HOB skimmer and monthly water changes. Done. If you do and I think you do. You can use your existing canister filter for mechanical filtration for large particle removal and it'll act like a fuge with pods growing profusely in it. No reason to over complicate the simple. But there will be those to try and convince you to spend thousands on a 23 gallon tank.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Welcome and you're off to the right start. If you can make it Reef ready from the start then that is the best way to go. A simple pump rated around 350-600gph is fine. There will be head pressure loss and if you plan your plumbing properly, you can install a simple ball valve to throttle your flow. You don't need a lot of return flow to make the sump do its job anyways. Simplicity is key, and try not to do shortcuts or work arounds as they usually end up costing you more in the long run. Ask away and many people here will gladly chime in

Speaker73

Premium Member
Supporter
I recently ran out of CO2 for my freshwater planted tank but didn't have any free time to get it refilled for a few weeks and in that time algae started taking over my tank. When I finally got it refilled, I was tinkering with my needle valve and apparently left it open way too much. The next day I came home to a school of Ember Tetras, 4 Electric Blue Rams, 7 Julii Cory Cats, 3 Amano Shrimp and a handful of Horned Nerite Snails belly up in my tank.

Its been a few weeks now and I haven't really done much to the tank after I cleaned it up. I was going to try and rescape it and start again but ended up getting bummed out and just ignored it. I've been a lot more interested in the Saltwater world lately, so when my dad came over last week he convinced me to turn it into a reef tank.

That is the reason for this post. I want to convert my 23 gallon Cadlights Zen Series tank into something reef ready. I've already started looking at a few items that I think I may need to make this happen, but I'd like to lean on the knowledge of this forum to guide the way. I currently only have a 12 gallon AIO, so this would be my first real build of this nature. I'm probably going to have a lot of questions, so bare with me.

I've read that using a canister filter is doable for a saltwater tank, but it's not ideal. Since my tank doesn't already have an existing overflow, I've started looking at a couple. I don't love the idea of the HOB overflow boxes since they're dependent on a constant siphon. I like the Eshopps Eclipse overflow, especially since it comes with the bit to drill the hole. Does anybody have any experience with this one?

Next, I need some advice on what sump to get. I have 19"x10.5" to work with in my cabinet so space is limited. Can anyone recommend a good and small sump? I still don't fully understand all the different equipment like reactors and whatnot so I haven't really decided what I want to keep in there.

Lastly would be the return. I've tried researching what some reliable pumps are out there and everyone seems to have their own preference. The overflow is rated for 600gph so my pump needs to be less than that and since its only a 23 gallon tank and it would be moving the water less than 4 feet, I would imagine this piece wouldn't be all that expensive, right?

Obviously, in between all this would be the plumbing and whatever I decide I want to keep in the sump plus a lot more that I probably don't even know about. I just wanted to start to get ideas of which direction to go. Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
I've used the eshopps eclipse overflow. Meaning I've drilled a tank using it and it's pretty easy to do. Just be sure to flip the drilling template upside down or else the overflow will have a low water line that leaves a large space between the water and the rim of the tank.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I've used the eshopps eclipse overflow. Meaning I've drilled a tank using it and it's pretty easy to do. Just be sure to flip the drilling template upside down or else the overflow will have a low water line that seems a bit excessive to me.

There really is nothing wrong with HOBs. Just use a check valve on your return plumbing (as you should anyway), and every couple of months, clean your U pipe in the HOB.

I use a second hand Eshopps on my 90 gallon, rated, i believe, for about 75. It works miraculously. They tend to rate them for tank width as opposed to volume,and that's where my setup cheats.

23 gallons is an easy enough volume for clowns and an anemone and some euphyllia, or a pair of gobies and a pistol, or even a midas blenny and a bangaii.

Don't go crazy though. Just start small with all the rock, and let it cycle. Meanwhile, get a good light while it does. Then your clean up crew, and after everything is good, go and get your first coral from a $5 plug place,right after you get your light.

Sw is easier than fw scaping.

Definitely more expensive, but much easier.

Sent from my 1+3t

*sorry speaker, meant to quote chris.

Hello from scape!

I've used the eshopps eclipse overflow. Meaning I've drilled a tank using it and it's pretty easy to do. Just be sure to flip the drilling template upside down or else the overflow will have a low water line that leaves a large space between the water and the rim of the tank.

Thanks for the tip. I've read a lot of people having that same complaint. Simply flipping the template will still keep the overflow from sticking out the top of the tank?

There really is nothing wrong with HOBs. Just use a check valve on your return plumbing (as you should anyway), and every couple of months, clean your U pipe in the HOB.

I use a second hand Eshopps on my 90 gallon, rated, i believe, for about 75. It works miraculously. They tend to rate them for tank width as opposed to volume,and that's where my setup cheats.

23 gallons is an easy enough volume for clowns and an anemone and some euphyllia, or a pair of gobies and a pistol, or even a midas blenny and a bangaii.

Don't go crazy though. Just start small with all the rock, and let it cycle. Meanwhile, get a good light while it does. Then your clean up crew, and after everything is good, go and get your first coral from a $5 plug place,right after you get your light.

Sw is easier than fw scaping.

Definitely more expensive, but much easier.

Sent from my 1+3t

*sorry speaker, meant to quote chris.

Hello from scape!
Thanks for the advice, Nick. Still haven't decided on how to stock it yet. I want to get passed the setup and plumbing then I'll move to that.

I finally got around to cleaning out the tank and removing all the planted tank equipment. I have a little cad lights tank that's about 8ish gallons that fits nicely in my stand that I'm going to use as my sump.

I just need some advice on design. The tank is 15.5"x9"x11". I ordered a Sicce Syncra 2.0 pump that's rated at 568 GPH and has a footprint that is 4.84" x 3.35". So that leaves me with about 10 inches for a skimmer, filter sock and anything I need to put in it.

Can anyone recommend a good compact skimmer for my space?

Also, would a small refugium be out of the question in this small of a sump? I like the idea of keeping a Mandarin one day so having a refugium where pods can grow out would be nice.

Is there anything else you would recommend I add?

Aquamaxx ws-1 is a great nano skimmer. Ive had my running for almost two years now. Worth the cost.
Aqua c remora is steller, and is a HOB which will avoid taking up valuable real estate in your small sump.

Then, just go with an external, dc, variable speed return pump. Sicce has an expensive one. But marine depot had a couple at a great price point duirng their BF event.

Sent from my 1+3t

I finally got around to cleaning out the tank and removing all the planted tank equipment. I have a little cad lights tank that's about 8ish gallons that fits nicely in my stand that I'm going to use as my sump.

I just need some advice on design. The tank is 15.5"x9"x11". I ordered a Sicce Syncra 2.0 pump that's rated at 568 GPH and has a footprint that is 4.84" x 3.35". So that leaves me with about 10 inches for a skimmer, filter sock and anything I need to put in it.

Can anyone recommend a good compact skimmer for my space?

Also, would a small refugium be out of the question in this small of a sump? I like the idea of keeping a Mandarin one day so having a refugium where pods can grow out would be nice.

Is there anything else you would recommend I add?
Do everything external and hob, and you'll have plenty of room for a complete refugium. Dont even worry about a filter sock at that size.

Sent from my 1+3t

I've been slowly piecing together what I need for this build. I think I have everything except for my light and skimmer.

For the skimmer, I'm going to take the advice above and go HOB. Now I'm trying to decide between the Aquac Remora and the Aquamaxx HOB 1.5. The reviews I've read say that the Remora is kind of noisy. Does anybody have any experience with either?

For the lights I'm between your usual suspects for LEDs. The Kessil A360WE, Radion XR15w and the AI Prime HD. I don't plan on keeping SPS right away but I don't want to limit myself from keeping them down the road because I didn't get a good enough light. What is the consensus on which one offers the best overall performance and value?

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Go with the Aquamaxx. The remora is very noisy without the mod to silence it. Even still it's not dead silent with the silencer mod. Also, I always had air bubble issues in the tank with the remora. Plus the 1.5 I think there's enough room to put your heater in the skimmer for a cleaner look in the tank
I've been slowly piecing together what I need for this build. I think I have everything except for my light and skimmer.

For the skimmer, I'm going to take the advice above and go HOB. Now I'm trying to decide between the Aquac Remora and the Aquamaxx HOB 1.5. The reviews I've read say that the Remora is kind of noisy. Does anybody have any experience with either?

For the lights I'm between your usual suspects for LEDs. The Kessil A360WE, Radion XR15w and the AI Prime HD. I don't plan on keeping SPS right away but I don't want to limit myself from keeping them down the road because I didn't get a good enough light. What is the consensus on which one offers the best overall performance and value?

Speaker73

Premium Member
Supporter

I would definitely go with the aquamaxx hob. I use one in my 30 gallon AIO and am in the process of setting up a 40 gallon breeder and have another one (1.0 that I got for a killer deal) all ready to go for that. It's not dead silent but much quieter then the Remora (had one of these too).

Go with the Aquamaxx. The remora is very noisy without the mod to silence it. Even still it's not dead silent with the silencer mod. Also, I always had air bubble issues in the tank with the remora. Plus the 1.5 I think there's enough room to put your heater in the skimmer for a cleaner look in the tank
I would definitely go with the aquamaxx hob. I use one in my 30 gallon AIO and am in the process of setting up a 40 gallon breeder and have another one (1.0 that I got for a killer deal) all ready to go for that. It's not dead silent but much quieter then the Remora (had one of these too).
Was leaning this way already, so thanks for confirming.