Anyone lanced a fish's swim bladder before?

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
My blue star leopard is stuck upside down. Have him in acclimation and plan to attempt to lance his swim bladder tomorrow. Any tips?

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
My blue star leopard is stuck upside down. Have him in acclimation and plan to attempt to lance his swim bladder tomorrow. Any tips?
Me and my friend tried on a rhomboid trio, no luck. Hope you have better luck. Never experienced swim bladder on leopards tho, usually fairy wrasses.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
if you can, video it and post it here. that would be interesting to see.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Attempted it when I got home from work very early this morning. With the dark body color light didn't really penetrate through the fish. Once pierced he went nuts which I'm sure caused some internal injuries. A failed attempt to say the least. Back in the water with the same issues and worse off. Feel bad for the little guy, I'll probably put him out of his misery when I get back from work. It's gotta be a painful way to go. Seems to be stuck in a C shape for the last few days.

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
Attempted it when I got home from work very early this morning. With the dark body color light didn't really penetrate through the fish. Once pierced he went nuts which I'm sure caused some internal injuries. A failed attempt to say the least. Back in the water with the same issues and worse off. Feel bad for the little guy, I'll probably put him out of his misery when I get back from work. It's gotta be a painful way to go. Seems to be stuck in a C shape for the last few days.
Was it in a QT?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Exact same thing happend to my lineatus wrasse that was doing great for a month and then all of the sudden... They are usually goners once this happens unfortunately. Mine held on in a "C" shape for almost two weeks. :( Sorry!

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
What did you use for a lance?
Hyperdemic needle meant for insulin injections. I have a friend who works at a vet and was able to get me a few.
Exact same thing happend to my lineatus wrasse that was doing great for a month and then all of the sudden... They are usually goners once this happens unfortunately. Mine held on in a "C" shape for almost two weeks. :( Sorry!
Yeah I had a feeling it wasn't going to right itself. I wasn't very confident going in and even less confident once the fish wasn't very transparent but figured it was worth a shot.

Latest posts