New to reefing...

So I'm looking to start keeping some reef, once I get my 220 gl tank set up.... was just wondering if anyone has had any luck keeping a Koran angel with corals. I've been Told its a no go. He's a pretty good size. So if I can't have both reef and the angel together, I'll probably have to sell him. Same goes for my twin spot wrasse. Love both fish and their colors. But I dunno.

Also was wondering what an easy starter coral would be. My current tank has been up for about 9 months now... and by the time I get my new tank up and running it'll be a year. And then i plan on just moving everything over to the new tank from the old. Thanks for any advice

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
I like zoanthids as a starter coral. Amazing color combinations at a decent price and grow at a steady pace. Do well under most lighting as well. Seem happiest in low to mid light and medium flow. They can be grown next to one another for the most part to create a colorful garden. Google zoa garden and you'll see what I mean.
Mushrooms are very similar. Same thing pick a rock that is separate from the main rockscape and let them take it over.

A good starter LPS (kind of the next step up from softies in care and lighting requirements) would be a branching Duncan coral. Great movement and I find them to be more hardy than torch and hammers. They also aren't aggressive like torches and hammers which makes placement easier. Medium light and random medium flow.

Just like [MENTION=7067]Smite[/MENTION] said, zoos n shrooms are perfect for starting out. Tons of info and great people here.

I like zoanthids as a starter coral. Amazing color combinations at a decent price and grow at a steady pace. Do well under most lighting as well. Seem happiest in low to mid light and medium flow. They can be grown next to one another for the most part to create a colorful garden. Google zoa garden and you'll see what I mean.
Mushrooms are very similar. Same thing pick a rock that is separate from the main rockscape and let them take it over.

A good starter LPS (kind of the next step up from softies in care and lighting requirements) would be a branching Duncan coral. Great movement and I find them to be more hardy than torch and hammers. They also aren't aggressive like torches and hammers which makes placement easier. Medium light and random medium flow.
Awesome thanks for the advice

I don't have a doser or apex or anything fancy. In do have some nice radion lights. How important is a doser for these basic corals?

I meant these. They dont suck up that much calcium but you should aim for reef parameters. Depending on your coral load you can manual dose once in a while. Dosers just make everything easier.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/483/plate-coral-short-tentacle?pcatid=483&c=597+321+483
Oh ok. Gotcha. How important is water flow with these corals? I'll be running a vectra L1 pump and I have another wave maker. Looking to buy a couple mp40's though to pair with my vectra.

cmsurfr22

you can get away with the return pump flow and wave maker to start. SPS is what requires a ton of flow. you can always place higher flow requiring corals directly in front of the return pump output or wave maker.